Are You Addicted to the Internet? Quiz
Use this brief screening measure to help you determine if you might need to see a mental health or other social services professional to help you successfully deal with “Internet addiction.”
Instructions: This is a screening measure to help you determine whether you might have an unhealthy relationship with the Internet. This screening measure is not designed to make a diagnosis or take the place of a professional diagnosis consultation. For each item, indicate the extent to which it is true, by checking the appropriate box next to the item.
I am a year old / /
- 1. Do you find that you stay online longer than you intended?
- 2. Do you prefer the excitement of the Internet to intimacy with your partner?
- 3. Do you neglect household chores to spend more time online?
- 4. Does your work (or school work) suffer because of the amount of time you spend online?
- 5. Do you form new relationships with others online?
- 6. Do others in your life complain to you about the amount of time you spend online?
- 7. Do you become defensive or secretive when anyone asks you what you do online?
- 8. Have you ever noticed that your job performance or productivity suffers because of the time spent online?
- 9. Do you check your e-mail before something else that you need to do?
- 10. Do you snap, yell, or act annoyed if someone bothers you while you are online?
- 11. Do you find yourself anxiously anticipating when you will go online again?
- 12. Do you block out disturbing thoughts about your life with soothing thoughts of the Internet?
- 13. Do you fear that life without the Internet would be boring, empty, or joyless?
- 14. Do you find yourself saying “just a few more minutes” when online?
- 15. Do you feel preoccupied with the Internet when off-line, or fantasize about being online?
- 16. Do you lose sleep due to being online late at night?
- 17. Do you try to hide how long you’ve been online?
- 18. Do you choose to spend more time online over going out with others?
- 19. Have you tried to cut down the amount of time you spend online and failed?
- 20. Do you feel depressed, moody, or nervous when you are off-line, which goes away once you are back online?
Copyright © 2004 Psych Central. All rights reserved. For personal, educational or research use only; other use may be prohibited by law.