It can feel lonely if you lack friends, but there is a space for you. Trying new activities or friendship apps may help you genuinely connect with others.
Friendship has benefits for your physical and mental health. Of course, companionship and socialization are beneficial parts of friendships, but you may feel isolated and alone when you don’t have friends.
There are ways to meet new people and form bonds with others, even if you don’t have friends right now. But if you want to make new friends, you might be surprised by what happens when you step outside your comfort zone.
Isolation can cause various mental and physical health problems, while having friendships can improve your overall well-being.
Research of 323,000 individuals that examined the importance of friendships worldwide found that those who prioritized friendships had higher overall health and well-being.
If you’re finding it challenging to make friends, there are some steps you can take to form new connections with others.
1. Volunteer for a cause you care about
Volunteering may be a great way to meet new people. You can give back to your community, advocate for a cause you care about, and make new connections.
You can improve your overall social well-being by volunteering to help others. For example, a
- mental and physical health
- life satisfaction
- social well-being
If you’re interested in volunteering, you can search for opportunities in your area by visiting volunteermatch.org. Before taking the leap, you may consider what causes and organizations are important to you.
2. Join a local meetup group
Do you love to hike? Is photography your jam? Do you want to connect with other business professionals in your area? A meetup group may be the place to make new friends doing something you love.
Meetup helps you find local activities in your area that match your interests. All you have to do is search by interest or city, and you can join a group or attend a local meetup event in your area.
3. Try a new class or activity
If you want to try something new, you can learn a skill and possibly form new connections.
Here are some ideas for activities you could try:
- take a pottery class at your local art shop
- find a sports league that interests you
- learn how to cook at a local restaurant cooking class
- attend a yoga class at a local studio
- join a book club at your local library
Whatever your interest is, you may make new bonds over a shared interest.
4. Join an app for making friends
Many apps can help people form friendships. If finding friends through shared interests or volunteering isn’t your thing, you might consider joining an app for making friends.
Some apps for making friends include:
- Bumble BFF: Bumble has three modes one for dating, one for friendship, and one for professional connections. You can set up a profile and swipe on friends that match your interests.
- Friender: Friender is an app for making friends where you can find matches based on your hobbies or interests.
- Patook: Patook is another app for finding new friends. You can form potential friendships by matching based on your values and interests.
These are just a few apps you can use to find new friends near you.
If you’re trying to make new friends, you may wonder how you can maintain those friends. Finding a time to connect is a crucial aspect of being a friend to someone.
Healthy friendships serve many functions.
Maintaining healthy friendships can include:
- scheduling quality time together
- trying new activities together
- asking for advice
- respecting your friend’s boundaries
- sharing intimate details about your life
- being a trustworthy friend
- planning fun events
- accepting your friend for who they are
- providing mutual support to each other
While this isn’t an exhaustive list, you can maintain a healthy relationship when you feel comfortable and trusting of someone. In addition, friendships may rely on mutual support, so you can support your friend and receive support from them.
When you don’t have friends, life can be lonely. But you don’t have to feel isolated if you don’t have friends. Instead, you can find ways to meet new people and form friendships.
Whether in person or through an app, finding a quality pal may be easier than you think. Who knows? You may learn a new skill or find a new hobby.
Once you’ve made some friends, you can keep your friendship healthy by:
- spending time together
- holding and respecting boundaries
- having fun together
- mutually supporting one another