Table of Contents
- How to Take It
- Side Effects
- Warnings & Precautions
- Drug Interactions
- Dosage & Missing a Dose
- Pregnancy or Nursing
- More Information
Vistaril (hydroxyzine) is an antihistamine that decreases certain symptoms, including hives on the skin, sneezing, and runny nose. It reduces the natural chemical histamine in the body. It is also used to control nausea and vomiting, treat allergic skin reactions such as dermatitis or hives, as a sedative to treat anxiety and tension, and in combination with other drugs for anesthesia.
It works by reducing activity in the central nervous system.
This information is for educational purposes only. Not every known side effect, adverse effect, or drug interaction is in this database. If you have questions about your medicines, talk to your health care provider.
How to Take It
Follow the directions for using this medicine provided by your doctor. This medicine may be taken on an empty stomach or with food. Continue to take this medicine even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
Side effects that may occur while taking this medicine include:
- dry mouth
- purple or red lesions on the skin
Contact your doctor immediately if you experience:
- uncontrolled muscle movements in tongue, jaw or neck
- respiratory issues
Warnings & Precautions
- Vistaril may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
- Drinking alcohol while taking this medication may cause dizziness, confusion and drowsiness. Avoid alcoholic beverages while taking Vistaril.
- Interactions can occur if you are taking barbituates, opioids, anticholinergic drugs, aspirin, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen, or any other medications that cause drowsiness. Talk to your doctor about any medications you are currently taking.
- DO NOT take more of this drug than is prescribed. Overdose most often results in excessive sedation, but it can also cause nausea, convulsions, stupor, and vomiting.
- Talk to your doctor if you have seizure disorder, liver disease, or kidney disease before taking this medication.
- DO NOT use this medication if you are allergic to hydroxyzine, or if you are pregnant.
- For an overdose, seek medical attention immediately. For non-emergencies, contact your local or regional poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.
Before taking any new medicine, either prescription or over-the-counter, check with your doctor or pharmacist. This includes supplements and herbal products.
Dosage & Missed Dose
Vistaril is available in two different capsules: a white and green capsule (50 mg) or a two-tone green capsule (25 mg).
It also comes in a drinkable form (e.g., loose particles suspended in a liquid-filled vial) which needs to be shaken vigorously before use.
If you skip a dose, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not double doses or take extra medicine to make up for the missed dose.
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (preferably not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed.
During early pregnancy, Vistaril should not be used. It is unknown if this medication is excreted in breast milk.
For more information, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or health care provider, or you can visit this website, https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682866.html for additional information from the manufacturer of this drug.