Since the response was good from my post on 15 quotes that motivate and inspire that I pulled from LinkedIn group, The Psychology Network, I joined a few weeks ago, I thought I’d publish their recommendation for good self-help books, too.
Since most of them are mental health professionals (unlike me, who just pretends she is), their list lends credibility and might be a good one to review every now and then either for yourself or in your work with patients.
1. Freedom From the Ties That Bind: The Secret of Self Liberation by Guy Finley
2. I Ain’t Much Baby, But I’m All I’ve Got by Jess Lair, Ph.D.
3. The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook, Fourth Edition by Edmund J. Bourne
5. If Your Adolescent Has an Anxiety Disorder: An Essential Resource for Parents (Adolescent Mental Health Initiative) by Edna B. Foa and Linda Wasmer Andrews
7. Circle of Stones: Woman’s Journey to Herself by Judith Duerk
10. The Hurried Child: Growing Up Too Fast Too Soon by David Elkind
11. The Woman Who Thought Too Much by Joanne Limburg
12. Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life by Steven C. Hayes, PhD and Spencer Smith
13. The Steps of Essence: How to Live Life Well and Authentically by Hanns-Oskar Porr
14. Mindfulness and The Art of Choice: Transform Your Life by Karen Sherman
15. Just Enough: Tools for Creating Success in Your Work and Life by Laura Nash and Howard Stevenson
16. Peaks and Valleys: Making Good and Bad Times Work for You–At Work and In Life by Spencer Johnson
17. The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck
18. The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
19. Don’t Bring It to Work: Breaking the Family Patterns that Limit Success by Sylvia Lafair, PhD
20. Your Erroneous Zones by Wayne Dyer, Ph.D.
21. Embracing Your Potential by Terry Orlick, Ph.D.
22. Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl, M.D.
23. The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch, Ph.D.
24. Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of “A Course in Miracles” by Marianne Williamson
25. The Dance of Intimacy by Harriet Lerner, Ph.D.
26. How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
27. Change Your Brain Change Your Life by Daniel Amen
28. Loving What Is: Four Questions That Can Change Your Life by Byron Katie
29. The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie
30. 7 Things He’ll Never Tell You: … But You Need to Know by Kevin Leman
31. My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist’s Personal Journey by Jill Bolte Taylor
32. The Five Love Languages: The Secret to Love That Lasts by Gary Chapman
33. The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran