Psych Central

Ask the Therapist

Ask the Therapist features questions that are answered by three licensed therapists at no cost to you. Learn more about our therapists or Ask a Question now.

Our Therapists:
Marie Hartwell-Walker, Ed.D. Kristina Randle, Ph.D. Daniel Tomasulo, Ph.D. Holly Counts, PsyD

F E A T U R E D    Q U E S T I O N

I Was a Child Survivor of Sexual Abuse

April 18th, 2014
After 4 months into dating, my boyfriend wanted to break up as he cannot accept it. I was a child survivor of sexual abused and during the initial phase of getting to know my boyfriend, I shared with him that I was sexually abused when I was young. He was fine with it. Gradually, we ...

My Wife Thinks Masturbating Makes Me a Sexual Monster

From the U.S.: My wife thinks that masturbation is like cheating. I've reduced the number of times that I do it to maybe twice a week which I believe to be well below the norm. ...

Is My Niece a Kleptomaniac?

From the Philippines: My niece is 12 years old. She grew up with me and my mom since her parents move in another city. They left her with us because my sister (her mom) is ...

How Do I Help My Niece?

From the U.S.: I babysat my now 5 year old niece a lot when she was an infant and toddler. Early on her behavior didn’t seem quite normal. Other people speculated she might be autistic. It’s ...

Help Me Decide on a Diagnosis

From New Jersey teen: I have epilepsy. After I got that my mental health declined dramatically. I stopped talking to all close friends. I don't want friends, or a girlfriend, I recently broke up with ...

I Don’t Know Who to Tell

From Canada: I'm 15 and I have a lot of issues which I fail at dealing with them in a good manner. I'm in school right now, but I've been afraid to go for the ...

Why Do So Many People Hate Me?

From the U.S.: I was emotionally and psychologically abused by my family and sometimes physically, bullied throughout grade, middle and high school, raped 3 times, stalked and bullied by my second rapist who fully penetrated ...

I’m Not Sure What’s Wrong with Me

Okay first of all I'm at rock bottom to ask for help here but lately I've been having a problem. There's this really scary nightmare I have every single ...

Prevalent Anxiety Disorders and Sexual Issues

My husband and I have been married for 2 years, together for 8, since we were 15. Throughout this time I have been battling GAD, Social Anxiety, PTSD- from ...

My Husband Wants Me to Weigh 115 Pounds

My husband wants me to weigh 115 lbs at 5'8" and I keep trying to do it because i am afraid not to. This weight issue has existed since we were married in 1973. We ...

Multiple Personality Disorder?

I'm just a normal 14 year old school kid, but lately i have had an urge to develop Multiple Personality Disorder. I am honestly just really curious as to how it would be like living ...

Never Been in a Relationship

I am a 19 year old female who has never been in a relationship and I'm having a hard time understanding why. I've been a party girl since the age of 14, I am very ...

Friend is Being Emotionally Abused

One of my very close friends is being emotionally abused by his mom. She is constantly degrading him, putting him down in private and in front of me and our other friends. Any time he ...