As we approach the end of Novemeber, Thanksgiving is once again just around the corner. This is the time of the year that many people begin to feel overwhelmed… So what are you going to do about it? How do you avoid overeating? (And if you do indulge, how can you feel less guilty about it?) How can you deal with that relative whose company you just don’t enjoy?
Thanksgiving is a time of the year for many families to reconnect. But it can also be a very stressful time. Our annual Coping with Thanksgiving Guide will help you deal with some of the most common holiday-related mental health issues. So while we can’t improve your family, perhaps we can improve your mood and help you get through the holiday with your sanity intact. Have a Happy Thanksgiving — or at least one that has just a little less stress this year.
We update this resource regularly, so please check back for additional articles.
New from Our Bloggers…
- The Psychology of Turkeys
- The Psychological Power of Gratitude
- Turkey with A Side of Grief: Coping with Pregnancy Loss and Infertility During the Holidays
- What We Can Learn from Thanksgiving
- 5 Reasons I’m Grateful for Narcissists
- Why Be a Thanksgiving ‘Orphan’?
- Eating in Moderation is the Key to Feeling Guilt-Free this Holiday
General Holiday Coping
- Thanksgiving & Gratitude in Hard Times
How can anyone be grateful when times are tough?
- Top 10 Holiday Defense Mechanisms
- Therapists Spill: What I’m Grateful For
Therapists share some of the things they are most grateful in their lives.
- In Recovery & Surviving the Holidays
How do you navigate the holidays while in recovery?
- The Season of the Have To’s
Understanding what’s absolutely necessary — versus what you feel you have to do — can make your family gather less stressful.
- The Keys to a Happy Holiday
A few key strategies to help you keep your sanity this holiday season.
- OCD & The Holiday Season
How the holiday season impacts people who live with OCD.
- Beating Depression This Holiday Season
- Defusing Confrontation with “I” Statements
This Thanksgiving, can you stop family confrontations in their tracks? You bet.
- Thanksgiving and Gratitude in Hard Times
How can you still be thankful in tough economic times?
- 9 Ways to Have a Simpler but More Satisfying Holiday
- The Empty Chair at the Holiday Table
How to make it through the holidays when a loved one has passed away.
- Holiday Feasts and Family Misbehavior
How can you deal effectively with a family member’s misbehavior this year?
- Holiday Traditions
Understanding the importance of family traditions around the holidays.
- Talking Turkey: Managing Unhappy Relatives at Holiday Time
How do you deal with your most difficult relatives during the holidays?
- 10 Tips for Surviving Thanksgiving with the Dysfunctional Family
If it doesn’t come naturally, know that you’re not alone.
- 5 Steps to Gratitude and Lovingkindness: Mondays Mindful Quote with Hafiz
So here we are, a few days before Thanksgiving in the United States and so taking this moment while reading these words to really consider what you are thankful for.
- 4 Quick Mindfulness Techniques
This is Thanksgiving week … The week some of us are very thankful that we don’t live in the same city as our relatives.
- 12 Ways to Be Thankful
I don’t feel like I’m very good at gratitude. This virtue comes hard to a depressive whose first thoughts are seldom positive. It has only been with much work and lots of practice that I have been able to cultivate gratitude and be genuinely thankful.
- 3 Tips On Dealing With TRAVEL STRESS From Psychologist Dr. Joseph Cilona
- Don’t Stress Holiday Travel
Quick tips to get you traveling safely and with less stress than last year.
- The Turkey Trail: Which Home for the Holidays?
So many families, so little time!
- Holiday Travel with Young Kids
Learn the secret to traveling with kids — travel in the “kid zone.”
Eating and Drinking
- Food, Family and the Holidays
Identify your triggers and help make your Thanksgiving a little less food-stressful.
- Overcoming Emotional Overeating: Q&A with Stephanie Vincent
I’ve already had the great opportunity to speak with two women about their eating disorder recovery. I hope to regularly feature Q&As with individuals who’ve recovered from eating disorders, binge eating, negative body image or any kind of disordered eating…
- Manage Overeating Over the Holidays
For many, family gatherings are positive events, but for the 9 million men, women or young people who have an eating disorder or engage in overeating, the holidays, without proper planning, can feel like nightmares.
- Why Are You Overeating?
What motivates your overeating? This article will give you some insights and provide some eating guidelines to help you manage your overeating.
- Excess Carbs May Alter Appetite Regulation
The ability to regulate appetite may decline with age if we overdo the carbohydrates, a recent study suggests.
- Get Rid of Your Excuses: Three Minute Refutations
Learn to reduce unwanted behaviors — such as overeating — with these three-minute refutations.
- Celebrating Safely with Alcohol
8 tips on how to safely celebrate the holidays.
- Holiday Drinking: Keep It Safe
5 strategies for keeping it safe during the holidays.
- Overeating: It’s All In Your Head
A four-part article describing cognitive-behavioral self-help techniques that can help you reduce your overeating.
More From Our Bloggers…
- Alone for the Holidays — The Issue Everyone Wants to Discuss
- Gobble Gobble: How Entitlement Eats Appreciation
- Finding The Healing Potential In Holidays: Unexpected Ways
- Who is the Boss of Thanksgiving?
- Practice Gratitude: A Thanksgiving Reminder
- When You’re Single for the Holidays
- Holiday Family Encounters: How to Use Them in Your Recovery
- 8 Tips for a Fairly Stress-Free & Fulfilling Holiday
- Body Image Booster: Cultivating Gratitude
- 3 Keys to Holiday Health, Joy & Meaning? (Kick Sugar Addiction, Avoid Sugar-Blues, Partner With Your Brain!) 1 of 3
- Gobble, Gobble! Your Gluten-Free Thanksgiving Guide
- Body Image Booster: 10 Ideas To Enjoy Yourself This Thanksgiving
- Simple and Healthful Food for the Other 364 Days
- Overcoming Overeating During the Holidays and Beyond
- How to Have a Fat-Talk-Free Holiday Season
- Healthy Eating During the Holidays
- Morality and the Dinner Table
Children and Family
- Facing Thanksgiving Together After Trauma
(Healing Together for Couples) – One of the unique things about Thanksgiving as a Holiday is that on that day most people across the country, from all ethnic, cultural, religious and socio-economic backgrounds do the same thing — they gather with others to give thanks and eat turkey…
- Preparing Kids for Holiday Visits
You love to travel with your children, don’t you? Make it less stressful for them and for you.
- Seasonal Stepfamily Stress: Tips to Help All Your Family Members Enjoy the Holidays
You’ve got a lot to deal with two families, but you can make it work more smoothly.
- More Coping with Holiday Stress Tips
More tips on how to deal with the inevitable holiday stress.
- Holiday Stress: A Resourceful Survivor’s Guide
Survive the holiday season with grace and less stress than last year!
- Helpful Hints for Navigating the Holidays
Helpful tips to help you navigate the holiday gatherings in your life.
- Holiday Coping Tips
Need more tips? Try these!
- Coping with the Holidays Guide
Read our general Coping with the Holidays Guide for all of your upcoming holiday needs, including expanded Christmas, family, children, SAD, and New Year’s articles.
Relationships & Loneliness
- Meet the Parents: Navigating the Holiday Dinner without the Stress
- Being Thankful Will Improve Your Relationship
- Being Thankful Alone
Older Coping with Thanksgiving Blogs
- How to Value Our Friends and Everyone Else’s, Today and Every Day
- Don’t Go There: A Goal for Family Stress this Thanksgiving Week
- How to Practice Gratitude When You’re Feeling Discouraged
- Don’t Freak Out Cleaning Before Thanksgiving
- 5 Tips for the Emotionally Neglected at Thanksgiving
- What to Do if Life Spirals Out of Control at the Holidays (including must-see Christmas movies)
- Why You’re Ungrateful
- Coping With an Eating Disorder During The Holidays
- Happy Thanksgiving With All the Complications
- 7 Tips for Surviving the Holidays with a Narcissist
- How To Enjoy Food This Holiday Season
- In All Things, Give Thanks
- Thanksgiving Poem: The Passive Aggressive Killing of a Pecan Pie
- Holiday Social Anxiety: 7 Survival Tips
- Create an Attitude of Gratitude
- How to Deal with Holiday Triggers
- Enjoying Three Types of Thanksgiving Holidays