We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Convenience and affordability are factors to consider when deciding whether ReGain is the right couples therapy service for you.
Sometimes, relationship therapy may be the one thing that stands between a happy relationship and sleeping in separate bedrooms.
But high costs and the challenge of making time for both partners to see a therapist in person can prevent a couple from seeking treatment in the first place.
ReGain seeks to eliminate those barriers by providing low cost, licensed therapy sessions for couples online.
How we researched ReGain Counseling
Before we recommend an online therapy service, it’s put through a vetting process where we look at the following factors:
- Price. How much does the service cost?
- Clinician qualifications. What types of clinician work for the service? How experienced are they?
- Accessibility. How often can you communicate with the therapist? How long will you wait for an appointment?
- Ease of use. Is the site/service easy to navigate?
- User reviews. What do users have to say about the service? Are they overall satisfied or dissatisfied?
This page explains the vetting process in greater detail.
What is ReGain Counseling?
ReGain is an online relationship counseling platform that was founded in 2016. The company provides convenient, discreet, and low cost access to a licensed therapist via phone or web.
ReGain is designed for individuals and couples wanting relationship and marital issue counseling.
Counselors at ReGain are licensed and accredited:
- marriage and family therapists
- clinical social workers
- professional counselors
Each counselor has a master’s or doctoral degree in their field.
ReGain Counseling cost
Sessions cost $60–$90 per week, and your credit card or PayPal is charged every 4 weeks. You get an automatic 1-week free trial when you sign up. The price range varies based on several factors, including your location and the availability of your chosen therapist.
You can cancel your subscription at any time.
Keep in mind that couples therapy isn’t usually covered by insurance and ReGain does not work directly with insurance companies. Still, you can always check with your insurance provider to see if they may reimburse you.
ReGain Counseling features
ReGain counseling sessions are available via phone or the web. Partners have a joint account that allows them to communicate with the counselor together.
Both partners and the counselor have access to all written communication. Plus, both users can speak with the counselor privately, if desired.
How to get started
Once you’re on the ReGain website, you’ll complete a questionnaire that allows you to identify the topics you’d like to focus on during your sessions. You can also choose the general traits you’re looking for in a therapist. For instance, do you feel more comfortable with a male or a female therapist? One who is younger or older?
To create an account, you’ll need to enter your email address and your name (you can use a nickname if you’d like greater privacy). You also have the option to sign up with Google or Facebook.
ReGain will then pair you with a therapist who best meets your needs.
How long it may take to get matched
Once you’ve created an account, you’ll be matched with a therapist within a few days, depending on your therapist’s availability. You may even be matched that day.
Your payment subscription plan will not begin until you’re connected with your counselor.
How therapy sessions work
ReGain therapy sessions primarily take place in a private chat room, where you’ll engage in an ongoing dialogue with your therapist. You can message your therapist anytime, and you’ll receive a notification or email when they have responded.
You can also schedule a live phone, chat, or video session with your therapist. There’s no limit to the number of messages or live sessions — it’s all included in the monthly subscription price.
Session length and frequency
You and your therapist will decide how often and how long your sessions will be. Some therapist-client pairs may prefer to schedule live phone sessions, while others might engage only in the chat room.
Cancelling your subscription
You can cancel your subscription at any time by logging into your account. You’ll still be able to use the service until your subscription period ends.
Therapist qualifications and types of therapy
All ReGain therapists have a master’s degree or a doctoral degree in their field. They may be one of the following:
- psychologist (PhD/PsyD)
- licensed marriage and family therapist (LMFT)
- licensed social worker (LCSW/LMSW)
- licensed professional counselor (LPC or LPCC)
All clinicians have at least 3 years and 1,000 hours of hands-on experience and a specific interest and expertise in relationship therapy.
All ReGain therapy sessions are focused on relationship issues, such as:
- resolving conflicts
- handling an affair
- improving communication skills
But the ways you reach these outcomes will vary, depending on your therapist’s individual approach to counseling.
There are various types of couples therapy. Some common approaches are:
- Cognitive behavioral couples therapy. This approach helps couples identify and change faulty thought patterns.
- Emotionally focused therapy (EFT). EFT focuses on the attachment and bonding aspect of your relationships.
- Gottman method. This approach addresses areas of conflict in your relationship and helps you solve problems more effectively.
If you feel your current therapist’s approach isn’t working for you, you can choose to be matched to a different therapist.
ReGain Counseling privacy and reputation
Regain’s infrastructure is designed to protect your privacy and safeguard the information you provide to your counselor and to ReGain.
The organization’s confidentiality and security standards exceed the measures that are required by law to ensure that you can feel safe and comfortable.
Your privacy is protected in a variety of ways:
- State and federal laws protect all communication between you and your therapist.
- ReGain doesn’t directly work with any insurance companies, so no information is shared between the two entities.
- After you’ve sent a message, you can click the “Shred” button at any time so it will no longer show in your account.
- Messages between users and counselors are encrypted.
You’re not required to use your full name or contact information when you sign up. Instead, you may pick a nickname that will identify you in the system.
Still, you will need to provide emergency contact information. This information is kept safe in ReGain’s system, but your counselor can access it if they believe you or someone else may be in danger.
ReGain is generally well regarded. Reviewers say response times from therapists are sometimes longer than a day. However, those who have used the service seem to be happy with their counselors.
There are benefits and drawbacks to seeking therapy via the ReGain counseling platform.
What’s great about ReGain Counseling?
- The platform focuses solely on relationship counseling.
- ReGain counselors are accessible via smartphone and the web.
- Counseling sessions are reasonably priced.
- You can maintain your confidentiality by using a nickname.
What are the downsides of ReGain Counseling?
- The ReGain system doesn’t currently support three-way live sessions, so both partners need to be in the same location to use the service.
- Some users have reported difficulty in scheduling an appointment with a counselor.
- You’ll have to pay for your first month up front, which can be a fairly big chunk of money at one time.
In fact, a
Many variables may cause distress, such as:
While traditional face-to-face couples therapy can be very beneficial, seeing a counselor in person isn’t always an option.
Online interventions such as ReGain may help you improve your relationship with your partner and overcome obstacles of cost and distance.
The ReGain system is designed to provide low cost counseling services for couples and individuals with relationship issues.
However, it does not replace regular face-to-face therapy in every case. For example, ReGain counselors cannot:
- make an official diagnosis
- prescribe medication
- fulfill a court order
ReGain is an online counseling platform that allows couples and individuals to seek help with their relationships. The platform is accessible via phone or the web and costs $60–$90 per week.
Counselors at ReGain are licensed and accredited psychologists, marriage and family therapists, social workers, or professional counselors. Each holds a master’s or doctoral degree in their respective field and has been certified by their state’s professional board.
Whether you’ve been with your partner for only a short time or for decades, if you’re experiencing relationship troubles and feel that it’s time to seek professional help, an online counseling service like ReGain can be a convenient option.