Generic Name: Topiramate (toe-PYRE-a-mate)
Drug Class: Antiepileptic, Antiseizure
Table of Contents
- How to Take It
- Side Effects
- Warnings & Precautions
- Drug Interactions
- Dosage & Missing a Dose
- Pregnancy or Nursing
- More Information
Topamax (topiramate) is an anticonvulsant used to control and prevent seizures (epilepsy). Topiramate is used to treat seizures in adults and children who are at least 2 years old.
It is also used for migraine headache prevention in adults and teenagers who are at least 12 years old. This medicine will only prevent migraine headaches or reduce the number of attacks. It will not treat a headache that has already begun.
It works by helping change certain chemicals in the brain, which professionals refer to as “neurotransmitters.” It is not yet well-understood why changing these neurochemicals results in symptom relief for the conditions this drug is commonly prescribed for.
How to Take It
Topamax may be taken with or without food. Drink plenty of liquids while taking this medication. Take this medicine as directed and do not take more or less of it or more often than prescribed by your doctor. Continue to take this medicine even if you are feeling better.
Side effects that may occur while taking this medicine include:
- lack of concentration
- speech disturbance
Contact your doctor immediately if you experience:
- eye redness
- increased eye pressure
- speech or language problems
- memory impairment
- rolling eye movements
Warnings & Precautions
- Before taking topiramate, tell your physician if you have any allergies to this medication or anything else.
- If you experience a sudden loss of vision, eye redness or eye pain, or in or fluid in the eye, contact your physician immediately. Topamax can lead to serious eye problems that, if left untreated, could cause permanent vision loss.
- DO NOT drive or use machinery while taking this medication until you know how it will affect you. Topamax could impair your judgment and make you feel dizzy and drowsy.
- Let your doctor know your medical history, and if you have the following conditions: lung, kidney or eye problems, long term diarrhea, if your diet includes a lot of fat, or if you have osteoporosis.
- Topamax might increase your body temperature and decrease your ability to sweat, which can result in a fever. Contact your healthcare provider immediately if this occurs.
- For an overdose, seek medical attention immediately. For non-emergencies, contact your local or regional poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.
Talk with your physician or pharmacist if you are taking other medications. Avoid drinking alcohol.
Dosage & Missed Dose
This medication comes in tablets in 25 mg, 50 mg, 100 mg, and 200 mg. It is also available in extended release oral capsules in 25 mg, 50 mg, 100 mg, 150 mg, 200 mg. It may also be taken as a sprinkle capsule in 15 mg and 25 mg doses, that can be taken orally or sprinkled onto soft food.
Take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not double doses or take extra medicine to make up for the missed dose.
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (preferably not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed.
If you are using birth control pills, Topamax could make them less effective. If you plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using this medicine during pregnancy. It is recommended that you DO NOT breast-feed while taking this medicine.
For more information, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or health care provider, or you can visit this website, https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a697012.html for additional information from the manufacturer of this drug.
Overall Review of this Medication
Psych Central. (2016). Topamax. Psych Central. Retrieved on March 24, 2017, from https://psychcentral.com/drugs/topamax/