College Survival Guide
College is a great time for most people, because it's a chance to really explore who we are and not feel pressured to do anything we don't want to do. But inevitably, pressures do arise from other unexpected areas -- girlfriends, boyfriends, roommates, frat brothers or sorority sisters, heavy course loads, athletics, exam and paper stress, Internet overuse, gaming too much, parents' expectations, etc. etc.
The key to a good time at college is to be prepared psychologically for what you are about to face. In that vein, we've compiled some of our most popular and useful articles on college life for this Psychological College Survival Guide. Enjoy.
Before You Go
- Are You Ready for College? Alternatives for the Unsure
There are more choices available to you than you might realize.
- Keeping the College Application Process Sane
Well, it's pretty insane to begin with, but this guide will help you at least not go insane while doing it!
- Waiting for College Acceptance Letters
As Tom Petty once said, Waiting can be the hardest part.
- The Summer Before College
Remember to relax and get organized before you head off to school.
- Making the Most of Your Freshman Year of College
New to college? Make the first year one of your best!
- College Activities: Not so Incidental Learning
A lot of what we learn in college has nothing to do with a classroom.
- Dealing with That Roommate
Hate your roommate? Learn how to make it work in the short-term.
- Getting Along With Your College Roommate
Another article to help you with roommate issues before they blow up.
- Growth and Change Through the College Years
Learn what to expect as you grow as a person in your intellectual and emotional development.
- The Dangers of Drinking on Campus
Yeah, yeah. We know, drinking is a part of college life. Just take it easy, okay?
- Tips for Successful College Internships
Internships are a great way of gaining real-world experience in your career.
Studying and Stress
- Are You a Stressed-Out College Overachiever?
If you're a serial overachiever like me, you may be looking for ways to stop the endless cycle of joining new clubs and taking on more responsibility on campus.
- The Stressed Out College Student
Stressed out already? Some tips to handle the stress.
- Tips to Beat Procrastination
Procrastination is an issue most students deal with. Learn some tips to help you out next time it becomes a problem.
- Tips for Settings Goals and Priorities
Got goals? Prioritizing your goals and needs can help reduce your stress.
- Manage Your Time, Don't Let it Manage You
Learn why time management is an effective strategy for successful students.
- Simple Steps for Managing Stress In Your Life
Take it from the pros, stress management is easier than you might think.
- Learning the Art of Resilience
What is resilience and why should I get some!? At the heart of resilience is a belief in oneself -- yet also a belief in something larger than oneself. Resilient people do not let adversity define them.
- Depression and Anxiety Among College Students
Depression and anxiety are prevalent problems in colleges across the country. Learn what you can do to help with these common concerns.
Relationships and Sexuality
- The Challenge of Long Distance Relationships
Many think they can do one, but it's a lot more challenging than you might imagine.
- Are You Lonely?
Dealing with loneliness before it turns into a lifestyle.
- Coping with Acquaintance Rape
Although everybody hopes it never happens to them, it's better to be prepared just in case.
- Get Yourself a Passport and Go!
There's always time to take a vacation between college and work.