College Survival Guide
College is a great time for most people, because it’s a chance to really explore who we are. We’re also generally under less pressure to do things that we don’t want to do. But inevitably, pressures do arise from other unexpected areas — girlfriends, boyfriends, roommates, frat brothers or sorority sisters, heavy course loads, athletics, exam and paper stress, Internet overuse, gaming too much, parents’ expectations, etc.
The key to a good time at college is to be prepared psychologically for what you are about to face. In that vein, we’ve compiled some of our most popular and useful articles on college life for this psychological College Survival Guide.
Your mental health is important — just as important as your physical health. If you don’t take care of yourself while in college, you may find yourself not enjoying the experience, nor learning as much as you thought you would. And not just about your major — learning about yourself is just as important during these early adult years.
If you’re looking to determine whether you might be suffering from a mental health concern today, we suggest checking out our mental health tests that screen for common concerns, such as ADHD, depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety, and more. We also have a set of great personality tests if you want to learn more about your personality and psychological preferences.
Before You Go
- Are You Ready for College? Alternatives for the Unsure
There are more choices available to you than you might realize.
- Keeping the College Application Process Sane
Well, it’s pretty insane to begin with, but this guide will help you at least not go insane while doing it!
- Waiting for College Acceptance Letters
As Tom Petty once said, Waiting can be the hardest part.
- The Summer Before College
Remember to relax and get organized before you head off to school.
- Making the Most of Your Freshman Year of College
New to college? Make the first year one of your best!
- College Activities: Not so Incidental Learning
A lot of what we learn in college has nothing to do with a classroom.
- Dealing with That Roommate
Hate your roommate? Learn how to make it work in the short-term.
- Getting Along With Your College Roommate
Another article to help you with roommate issues before they blow up.
- Growth and Change Through the College Years
Learn what to expect as you grow as a person in your intellectual and emotional development.
- The Dangers of Drinking on Campus
Yeah, yeah. We know, drinking is a part of college life. Just take it easy, okay?
- Tips for Successful College Internships
Internships are a great way of gaining real-world experience in your career.
Creating Good Study Habits
- 2 Important Strategies for Effective Studying
You try out a lot of things to study. These two habits are the most effective, according to science.
- 3 Common Study Habits that Surprisingly Don’t Work
You probably do at least one of these. It’s probably not helping.
- Tips for Settings Goals and Priorities
Got goals? Prioritizing your goals and needs can help reduce your stress.
- Manage Your Time, Don’t Let it Manage You
Learn why time management is an effective strategy for successful students.
- 4 Research-Based Ways to Make New (Study) Habits Stick
Form new habits this way.
- 8 Tips for Improving Your Memory
Your memory is key to learning, so learn how to improve it.
- 7 Tips for Coping with Finals
The semester’s almost over — now’s the time to bring it home.
Dealing with Stress
- 5 Stress Busters for Students
These will help you with college life stress.
- Are You a Stressed-Out College Overachiever?
If you’re a serial overachiever like me, you may be looking for ways to stop the endless cycle of joining new clubs and taking on more responsibility on campus.
- The Stressed Out College Student
Stressed out already? Some tips to handle the stress.
- Tips to Beat Procrastination
Procrastination is an issue most students deal with. Learn some tips to help you out next time it becomes a problem.
- Simple Steps for Managing Stress In Your Life
Take it from the pros, stress management is easier than you might think.
- Learning the Art of Resilience
What is resilience and why should I get some!?
- Depression and Anxiety Among College Students
Depression and anxiety are prevalent problems in colleges across the country. Learn what you can do to help with these common concerns.
- Mental Health Challenges of College Students
Take care of your mental health while in school.
Relationships and Sexuality
- The Challenge of Long Distance Relationships
Many think they can do one, but it’s a lot more challenging than you might imagine.
- Are You Lonely?
Dealing with loneliness before it turns into a lifestyle.
- Coping with Acquaintance Rape
Although everybody hopes it never happens to them, it’s better to be prepared just in case.
- Post-College Planning: Build Your References from the Start
It’s never too early to start building professional relationships.
- Get Yourself a Passport and Go!
There’s always time to take a vacation between college and work.
Grohol, J. (2019). College Survival Guide. Psych Central. Retrieved on March 28, 2020, from https://psychcentral.com/college/