Why Do Kids Behave the Way They Do? Listen to Doctor Radio this July 4th
Ever wonder why kids behave the way they do? Satellite radio Sirius XM and a team of medical experts from NYU Langone Medical Center have the answer with a special on the Doctor Radio channel on July 4th. Doctor Radio is heard on SIRIUS channel 114 and XM channel 119.
24 Hours About Our Kids is a July 4th weekend marathon of Doctor Radio’s weekly child psychiatry and psychology show, exploring important topics that all parents and kids face today including ADHD, mood disorders, the effects of online social networking, issues related to coming out of the closet, Autism, depression and more.
About Our Kids is hosted by leading doctors from NYU Langone Medical Center, including Dr. Jess Shatkin, Dr. Lori Evans, and Dr. Alexandra Barzvi. Dr. Harold Koplewicz, Director of The Child Study Center, is a regular contributor to Doctor Radio. Dr. Shatkin will host this special.
On 24 Hours About Our Kids: Why Kids Behave the Way They Do, the doctors tackle many of the most important issues kids and parents are facing today, and provides expert insight and advice. Issues explored on this special include:
- Depression, anxiety and mood disorders: Dr. Harold Koplewicz tells parents how to spot the signs of a depressed teenager and what your immediate response should be. He will also explore kids’ attitudes – when are they just being moody and just being teens, and when are they seriously depressed? How to know the difference and spot and treat depression in kids.
- Using the internet for social networking, Facebook, MySpace – who are your kids talking to and becoming friends with, what every parent needs to know, and how to tell if they are becoming addicted. Plus video games and the amount of time your kids spend playing with them – what’s normal and what’s not?
- Autism and spectrum disorders and the controversy over vaccines – is there a connection? What are the latest therapies?
- ADHD – can your child grow out of it? Do medications work? How to diagnose and treat learning disabilities.
- OCD and anxiety disorders – when fear becomes anxiety and how both parents and kids can deal with this debilitating issue.
- Homosexuality and coming out – when does your child know, how do they tell you and what should you say? Guests include Doctor Radio host Dr. Virginia Sadock, renowned sex therapist, and a young man who shares his experiences growing up gay. What’s it like being a gay child being raised by straight parents, and what happens when a straight child is raised by a gay couple?
- Fears our kids face today – from the fear of test taking to social anxiety to the fear of failing and more.
I don’t know about you, but I’m hoping to be outside barbecuing on July 4th. But if I were a parent and has Sirius XM, I might tune into a few hours of this special to see what it was all about. Hopefully some parents will do just that, and maybe even learn a thing or two about mental health issues and their child.
Grohol, J. (2018). Why Do Kids Behave the Way They Do? Listen to Doctor Radio this July 4th. Psych Central. Retrieved on February 22, 2020, from https://psychcentral.com/blog/why-do-kids-behave-the-way-they-do-listen-to-doctor-radio-this-july-4th/