What an amazing year 2015 has been! We’re a little sorry to see it go.
While we’ve had a great year here at Psych Central, we’ve also lost some significant people in the field this year — Oliver Saks and John Nash most notably. We pause to remember their wonderful contributions to the field, as well as our knowledge and understanding of the world around us.
Meanwhile, we continue to bring psychology and mental health to the masses — our mission for the past 20 years. It’s a mission of hope, because although we reach 8 million people a month on Psych Central, there are millions of people each day who suffer from a mental illness in the darkness or with little support from those around them. That’s why we now run three separate support communities — our support groups, NeuroTalk and through our non-profit, Project Beyond Blue — comprised of over 450,000 members and 250 support groups.
With a new year comes the potential of a new start and changing some of those aspects about yourself that could use a little improvement. We’ll be here for you to help you with those goals, with great new articles on these topics from experts, professionals and people just like you.
Click through to see our top 10 lists for the World of Psychology blog, the entire Psych Central blog network, our Professional site, and from our news bureau.
Top 10 Psychology Blog Topics
Here are the top 10 psychology and mental health topics of 2015 that appeared here on the World of Psychology blog at Psych Central:
- 3 Reasons You Can’t Win with a Narcissist by Sarah Newman, MA
- What is Commitment Phobia & Relationship Anxiety? by John M. Grohol, Psy.D.
- Surprising Differences between Lonely Women and Lonely Men by Kira Asatryan
- 6 Secret Signs of Hidden Depression by John M. Grohol, Psy.D.
- I Hope You Never Understand by Becca Kelly
- The Science Behind PTSD Symptoms: How Trauma Changes The Brain by Michele Rosenthal
- 10 Nutritional Deficiencies that May Cause Depression by Therese Borchard
- 4 Warning Signs Marriage Therapists Use to Predict Divorce by Marni Feuerman
- 45 Conversation Starters to Bolster Your Bond with Your Friends and Family by Margarita Tartakovsky, MS
- Is Masturbation Bad for You? by Alexandra Katehakis, MFT, CST, CSAT
Top 15 Most Popular Articles from the Psych Central Blog Network
These are the top 15 most popular articles from our blog network for 2015:
- 5 Things Never to Say to an Anxious Child by Renee Jain, MAPP
- Raised By Parents With Low Emotional Intelligence by Jonice Webb, Ph.D.
- Best Quotes For Anxious, Highly Sensitive & Creative People by David Silverman, MA, LMFT
- The Six Hallmarks of a Sociopath by Jonice Webb, Ph.D.
- The Most Harmful Kind of Parent by Gerald Schoenewolf, Ph.D.
- Emotional Attachment: 5 Unhealthy Relational Patterns by Támara Hill, MS, NCC, LPC
- How To Spot A Bad Therapist: 10 Major Signs by Támara Hill, MS, NCC, LPC
- The One Person You Should NEVER Say You’re Sorry To by Richard Zwolinski, LMHC, CASAC & C.R. Zwolinski
- 6 Signs You Are Not Living The Life You Are Meant To by Claire Dorotik-Nana, LMFT
- The Importance of Keeping A Notebook by Margarita Tartakovsky, MS
- Double Trouble: Two Bad Habits That Kill Relationships by Mike Bundrant
- One creative way to cope with anxiety by Diana C. Pitaru, M.S., L.P.C.
- A Surprising Cause of Narcissism by Jonice Webb, Ph.D.
- Frustration: 10 Worst Things To Say To Someone With Mental Illness by Támara Hill, MS, NCC, LPC
- 8 Symptoms That May Require A Mental Health Evaluation by Támara Hill, MS, NCC, LPC
Top 10 Articles from Psych Central Professional
Here are top 10 most popular articles from our professional site in 2015:
- Eight Mental Abuse Tactics Narcissists Use on Spouses by Christine Hammond, MS, LMHC
- How a Narcissist Treats Their Spouse by Christine Hammond, MS, LMHC
- The Narcissistic Cycle of Abuse by Christine Hammond, MS, LMHC
- Neurontin: Does it Work for Anxiety? by The Carlat Psychiaty Report
- Differentiating Borderline Personality Disorder from Bipolar Disorder by Bernadette Grosjean, MD
- What I Wish I’d Known Before Starting A Private Practice by Dr. Julie Hanks, LCSW
- Humor Abuse: Humor as a Psychological Defense by Niall Kavanagh, MS
- 10 Tips for Helping Your Child Overcome Anger by Heather Gilmore, LLMSW
- Long Acting Injectable Antipsychotics: A Primer by Kelly Gable, PharmD, BCPP & Daniel Carlat, MD
- Top 10 Websites for Building Your Private Practice by Dr. Julie Hanks, LCSW
Top 10 Psychology, Brain and Mental Health News Topics
And finally, here are the top 10 news topics we covered in 2015:
- How Cannabis Affects Bipolar Disorder by Traci Pedersen
- Posting of Selfies May Suggest Personality IssuesPosting of Selfies May Suggest Personality Issues by Rick Nauert, Ph.D.
- Benzodiazepine Drugs Tied To Increased Risk of Dementia by Rick Nauert, Ph.D.
- Social Anxiety Tied to Overabundance of Serotonin by Traci Pedersen
- Low Empathy Associated with Borderline Personality Disorder by Rick Nauert, Ph.D.
- Fermented Food Linked to Mental Health by Jane Collingwood
- Some Facebook Statuses Reveal Low Self-Esteem, Narcissism by Traci Pedersen
- Borderline Personality Disorder May Be as Disabling as Bipolar Disorder by Traci Pedersen
- A Man’s Smile Identifies Level of Sexism by Rick Nauert, Ph.D.
- New Doubts About Role of Serotonin in Depression by Jane Collingwood