Happy New Year 2016!
I’m blown away by the fact that another year has come and gone already. Maybe it’s just me, but some years seem to go by more quickly than others. Perhaps that’s a sign that it’s been a particularly good year.
In dealing with mental health issues in society, I think 2015 will stand as a fairly good year on record. While U.S. politicians spent a lot of wasted breath trying to link mass shootings to mental illness — ignoring all of the evidence to the contrary — the rest of us were focused on helping bring a more positive light to mental health in America.
For instance, the Senate proposed a real bipartisan mental health reform act that would help fix some of the biggest problems in the federal funding of mental health treatment in the states.
We learned some of our beloved celebrities were themselves grappling with mental illness. Folks like Former Olympian Debi Thomas Reveals Serious Struggles, Demi Lovato, Lady Gaga, Eminem, Emma Stone, Shark Tank’s Robert Herjavec, Chris Pratt, and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson shared their journeys — among many others — providing a spark of hope for others who look up to them. Robin Williams’ daughter, Zelda, reminded us all to talk more about mental health with our loved ones.
If you haven’t seen my recent interview talking about doing this for 20 years, I suggest you check it out: 20 Years of Psych Central: Caring Is Our Foundation. Also perhaps of interest to you, the Top 10 Important or Intriguing Psychology Articles of 2015.
To all of our Psych Central readers, I wish you a very Happy New Year!
I hope 2016 is a good year for you and your friends & family. May the year be full of the things that bring you more happiness in your life and if you’re one to make resolutions, I hope you can stick with them!
We here at Psych Central wish you a very prosperous one in whatever you do.
And if you need a little help with your resolutions or making the most of your New Year, please check out our annual New Year’s Guide. Here are a few of our latest blog entries from across the Psych Central Blog Network to help you with your resolutions this year…
- New Year’s Resolutions and Fitness Goals
- 7 Self-Compassionate Practices and Habits for the New Year
- Twelve Tips to Eliminate Exhaustion in the New Year
- A New Year’s Gift: Four Realities In “Re-Storying” Your Life to Realize Your Goals and Dreams
- 16 Resolutions I’m Not Setting in 2016
- Remember to Follow Your Path
- Learning to Be On Your Own Side
- 20 Things I Learned This Year
- Inspirational Mental Health Quotes for 2016
- Five Ways To Build Your Mental Strength In 2016
- Auld Lang Syne Lyric: Should Old Resolutions Be Forgot
- My New Year’s Resolution to Love My ADHD Family Member Better
And from years past…
- 30 Prompts to Reflect on In the New Year
- Going to Make a New Year’s Resolution? Consider These 5 Tips
- A Kinder Take on New Year’s Resolutions for 2015
- How Will You Be A Better Person In 2015?
- The 4 Greatest Psychological Discoveries of 2014
- 3 Steps to Make Your New Habits Stick this Year
- Adding Power to Your New Year’s Resolutions
- Resolutions: Letting Go of Shoulds this New Year
- How Couples Can Set Intentions for the New Year
- Only 8% of People Keep Their New Year’s Resolution
- Why You Need to Examine Your Expectations
Want more? Check out the rest of the good stuff in our annual, updated New Year’s Guide.
Grohol, J. (2018). Happy New Year 2016!. Psych Central. Retrieved on October 24, 2020, from https://psychcentral.com/blog/happy-new-year-2016/