The self-defeating thoughts that accompany depression are among the most painful elements of the illness.
When I’m in the thick of the darkness, I can’t see anything remotely positive about myself. I concentrate solely on my weaknesses.
So to help, the other day I wrote down some affirmations to say when I’m in this place, to remind myself of my value even though I can’t see or feel it. I hope they help you, too.
14 Affirmations to Help with Depression
- You are valued even when you’re not productive.
- You are loved — despite your sadness.
- You are not sick because of a lack of effort or a failure at adjusting faulty thoughts.
- You are appreciated even when you can’t contribute much.
- You are needed — even though you feel worthless.
- You are separate from your depression.
- You aren’t any less of a person because certain people can’t understand your illness.
- You have persevered and persevered and should celebrate your tenacity.
- You are strong in your weakness.
- You are much more than your opinions of yourself.
- Your brain is your friend (despite what you hear).
- Your discomfort won’t last forever.
- You are resilient. You are a silent warrior.
- You are okay where you are right now.
Originally posted on Sanity Break at Everyday Health.