10 Ways to Win the War Against Workplace Stress
Workplace stress is one of the most common forms of stress. In order to cope with it, you need to accept that your job is the cause of your stress. Only when you come out of your denial can you overcome this form of stress.
Here are some tips you can use to deal with workplace stress:
1. Take on only as much work as you can do. Promotions and incentives notwithstanding, your health should be important to you. You should know what your limit is, and then you should work within that limit. If you just give your nod to work that you can realistically do, then you will be much happier with your job.
2. Only accept work with realistic deadlines. Many people accept work with difficult deadlines just because of the lure of money or because of the fear of losing a client. But you can always ask for more time to do your work. When you take on work that you can easily do, then you are not only preventing workplace stress from draining you fully, but you are also able to provide better quality work to your clients.
3. Learn to say no. When you cannot refuse, you end up taking on things you cannot handle. You take more work than you can handle. You accept unrealistic deadlines. You agree to help out your friends with things that they are supposed to do. You agree to do tasks for the company which you don’t need to, and so on.
There is no harm in doing all of this if you are capable of doing it. But most people do not have that kind of powerhouse capacity. If you have to take on a lot of work and eventually it is going to cause you an immense deal of stress, then it’s certainly not worth creating that impression of the ‘guy or gal who can do it all.’
4. Manage your time. This is important regardless of whether you have a job. When you learn how to manage your time, then you are able to fulfill your tasks in a much better way, with enough time left over for fun and recreation as well.
5. Learn to prioritize. This is extremely important. When you are able to fulfill tasks according to their order of importance, then the situation becomes much easier to handle. One way to prioritize is by deciding which of your tasks can help the faster accomplishment of another task. If there is a particular task that should be done earlier so that the next task becomes easier, then follow that logical order.
6. Learn about new technologies. You will be amazed to see the kind of progress that technology is making right now. This is the world of automation; there is a simple software solution for almost anything. Keep updated.
There are chances that you could use some new technological solution to make your job easier. At the same time, when you are better informed, you simply know how to get your job done faster.
7. Trust in your team. Many people build up a great deal of workplace stress just because they do not believe in the people around them. Give them their due importance. You should know that these people have also been employed by the same organization that has employed you, so you need to have at least some amount of faith in their judgment.
If there is some task that someone else should do, let them do it. Do not insist on taking it up just because you feel you can do a better job. The whole thing could actually backfire. You may not be able to finish that and your work would be left in limbo as well.
8. Always make time for your family and friends. Always remember that you are working for your family and yourself. Refrain from working on holidays and the weekends. Spend time with the family. Go out with your friends whenever you can. All these things really matter because they take your mind off work.
9. Live a healthy lifestyle. Take care of your health. Go for a jog, or at least get a treadmill. Leave home only after having a healthy breakfast. Learn a good meditation technique such as yoga.
Do not drink and smoke just because you’re experiencing workplace stress. These can only give you a temporary boost. When their effect wears off, you will be feeling more despondent than ever.
Avoid calorie-rich junk foods and pile up on those veggies instead. Have fresh fruit juice instead of coffee at work. Sip water throughout the day; it helps keep your metabolism in good working condition.
10. Celebrate when you should, and not just with colleagues. If you have achieved a victory at work, treat your family and friends. This gives you a sense of self-satisfaction. When you see your near and dear ones sharing in your victory, you feel that your achievement is not in vain. This also acts as a great motivating factor and you are able to tackle your next job with better enthusiasm.
Simsek, D. (2018). 10 Ways to Win the War Against Workplace Stress. Psych Central. Retrieved on June 2, 2020, from https://psychcentral.com/blog/10-ways-to-win-the-war-against-workplace-stress/