Back to School Mental Health Guide
For Students & Parents
Where did the summer go? We can't believe it's time to go back to school. Whether you're a student looking for some study tips or a parent looking for some reassurance, our Back to School Guide will get you back on track to have a successful school year.
We know that getting back into the swing of the daily school schedule takes some time, so you should give yourself a break if you find the first couple of weeks a little difficult to break free from that vacation mindset. That's natural! But at some point, you do have to figure out how you're going to tackle the school year, and we hope the articles below you do some of that.
Are you a college student? Check out our Mental Health & Coping Skills Guide for College Students instead.
Students interested in psychology should also check out AllPsych, our awesome virtual psychology classroom and blog.
Elementary & Secondary School Issues
- How To Embrace 'Progress Not Perfection' This School Year
You don't have to make your kid's life perfect in order for them to enjoy and excel at school.
- Is Your Hovering Making Your Kid Crash?
Are you making it more difficult for your kid than you need to?
- Back to School Drama in Narcissistic Families
This is a time that can be fraught with drama in narcissistic households.
- Avoiding Burnout in Home Schooling
Tips for helping yourself with home schooling.
- Parental Involvement Equals School Success
Parents need to be involved (but not overly!) in their child's studies, if they want their child to succeed.
- The Paradox of Pushing Kids to Succeed
Pushing too hard could have unintended consequences.
- Advocating for Your Child within the School System
How do you become a successful advocate for your kid's needs?
- Starting a New School Year Following a Summer of Change
Big changes in the family? How to help your child cope.
- Helping Your Child Transition from Elementary to Middle School
Help your child make this important transition.
- Mistake Phobia
How to help when your son or daughter is paralyzed by the fear of making a mistake in their schoolwork.
- 8 Tips for Building Healthy Parent/Teacher Relationships
Start the school year off on the right foot with your teacher (or parent!). Also of interest, When a Teacher and Child Don't Get Along
- Dealing with Bullies
Recognize the signs and discover what you can do to combat bullies at school. Also of interest, How Do We Stop Bullying in Schools?
- Back to School Tips
General back to school tips that can benefit any student and their parents.
- Control Back-to-School Anxiety
Tips for helping control back to school anxiety for children and teens.
- Helping Children Who Fear School
Being afraid of going to school is a common phobia for children, but one that you can help address.
- Living with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Not every child or teen has ADHD, but if your child does, this guide can help you understand what they can do to improve their school success.
- Classroom Adaptations for ADHD Students
How can Section 504 help your child in the classroom?
Dealing with School & Specific Disorders
- 4 Tips for Going Back to School With ADHD
Strategies to make classes work better for you.
- Back to School with OCD
- Helping Kids Succeed in School Despite OCD
- Depression and Teenage Identity Building
Dealing with depression while in high school.
- Oh Look, a Chicken!: A Teen's Tips for Managing ADD
Tips for managing attention deficit disorder and ADHD.
- Success in College Despite Learning Disabilities
Last updated: 20 Jan 2017
Last reviewed: By John M. Grohol, Psy.D. on 20 Jan 2017
Published on PsychCentral.com. All rights reserved.