Home » Ask the Therapist » Why Is Math Hard for Me?

Why Is Math Hard for Me?

From a young man in Lithuania: hello i have question, since i find math hard does that mean that i have low IQ, cause i don’t know why i but i find math too hard.

Why Is Math Hard for Me?

A.

The simple answer to your question is no. IQ is far more complex than that. People have different brains and different talents and different struggles. You may not be good at math, but I bet there are other things you find easy that another person might find difficult.

There are, in fact, many kinds of intelligence. You might find it interesting and reassuring to read the work of the developmental psychologist, Howard Gardner. He identified 9 different types of intelligence: Naturalistic; Musical; Logical-mathematical; Existential; Interpersonal; Kinesthetic; Linguistic; Intra-personal; and Spatial.

Different people have different combinations of strengths and weaknesses in each. Unfortunately, to my way of thinking, schools emphasize the Logical and Mathematical. Someone who has difficulty in those areas then ends up feeling inadequate. But maybe their strengths just lie in the other areas.

I understand that maths is hard for you. But that doesn’t mean impossible. You can probably learn enough about it that you can pass — even if you aren’t a star at it. See about getting a tutor or spend some time on line with sites that help you break the problems down into steps you can manage.

Meanwhile, school isn’t life. Explore the intelligences that you do have. Figure out what activities and even professions will give you the room to enjoy your own strengths.

Why Is Math Hard for Me?

Therapists live, online right now, from BetterHelp: