Home » Ask the Therapist » How Do I Get Rid of the Dialogue in My Head?

How Do I Get Rid of the Dialogue in My Head?

From a man in the U.S.: Have you ever heard the concept where if you get hurt by someone, “do not go run and tell”? That is what the group of people in my head are generally implying. I will go to say something and then there will be this all of a sudden NO! in my head. They are telling me not to write this right now.

I am trying to get major help. I live in a very bad place where I can not get sleep, the food is very bad and the building is very outdated.  The voices were good at first, except the whole time they were lying to me. I often wonder what it is like to live without a mental illness.  My life is shattered because of the voices in my head.  My question(s): how do I stop the voice(s) in my head and find good housing?

A.

In the 1940s, a theorist in psychology, Abraham Maslow, created a hierarchy of human needs. He suggested that the lower levels of needs, which include basic physiological and psychological needs, have to be mostly met before someone can advance to personal growth. From what you wrote, it looks to me like your basic needs aren’t being met.

To be healthy, you need to sleep at least 8 hours a night. You need to eat healthy food. You need to get some physical exercise every day. And you need to live where you aren’t afraid. You also need to have people around you who you care about and who care about you. Those are the basics.

The “voices” may be indicative of mental illness. But they may also be only a way you encourage yourself to get active in seeking the help you need. It’s sad but true: No one else is going to get you those services if you don’t advocate for yourself.

You may be getting by by hiding, by telling yourself to “not tell”, but you are just barely getting by. You do need to tell. But first you need to find the right people to do the telling to.

I don’t know how to go about getting you housing in your state. If you aren’t doing so already, I urge you to seek out a community service that helps match people with the right agencies to get housing, access to healthy food, and mental health counseling. Most communities have such a service. Ask around. Chances are someone you already know knows where to go for help.

You said you wonder how to live without a mental illness. I assume, then, that you have been diagnosed by a mental health professional. That person is also a resource for you. Ask for a referral to a housing agency.

I do suggest you seek out the local chapter of NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) and start to attend meetings. NAMI Connection is a support group for people with mental health conditions. For more information, go to the NAMI website.

Therapists live, online right now, from BetterHelp: