Home » Ask the Therapist » Is IQ Related to Success?

Is IQ Related to Success?

From a young man in the U.S:  Hello, simple and selfish question. The correlation between IQ and success has interested me. If I describe my accomplishments I was wondering if there could be an estimated IQ range for me.

Is IQ Related to Success?

A.

Nope. IQ is only part of the equation. Perseverance, self-discipline, motivation, emotional intelligence, people skills, and even a sense of humor all factor into someone’s success. And then there’s dumb luck. Sometimes people are in the right place with the right combination of attributes at the right time to take advantage of an opportunity. It also helps to be the child of highly successful people.

In short, people with a lower IQ can be very successful. And there are people with an extremely high IQ can never make much of themselves. IQ is a crude measure of a person, at best. Instead, it’s important to look at the total picture.

I suggest you shelve your question and look at what skills and attributes you are bringing to the table. Work to improve whatever you need to improve to get you where you want to go.

Is IQ Related to Success?

Therapists live, online right now, from BetterHelp: