Home » Ask the Therapist » How Do I Fix Having Lied to my Boyfriend?

How Do I Fix Having Lied to my Boyfriend?

From a teen: We have been together for a whole year. He really means the world to me anyway I am bisexual and before I met him I Kissed a girl. Before maybe 2 or 3 months I told him that I am bi but lied to him and said that I never touched a girl before even though He accepted me the way I am and understood that I was not ready to tell him. I just felt like he had to know the truth so I told him the day before yesterday and he now doesn’t wanna talk to me. I don’t know how to fix it.

A.

You’ve had a very hard lesson in how easy it is to break trust, and how hard it is to regain it. You may not be able to fix it. Your guy already accepted that you hadn’t told him the whole truth in the beginning. But now he’s found out that you’ve withheld information from him twice. It may be just too much. He may always be wondering what else you haven’t told him.

You are 15. You’ve been with this guy for a year. So you got together when you were only 14 and emerging into adolescence. The teen years are very important and often very difficult. This is the time when kids find out who they are, what they stand for, and what kind of person they want to be with.

It’s usual for there to be a number of break-ups before finding true love. Sometimes you will discover that you haven’t made the right choice for you. Sometimes the other person will decide you aren’t right for them. It’s painful at times, but it is part of the process of growing up and sorting out what love relationships are about.

The best thing you can do from this situation is learn from it. Without honesty and trust, there really isn’t a relationship. You’ll do better in your next relationship.