Home » Ask the Therapist » Why Do I Keep Loosing Track of Time?

Why Do I Keep Loosing Track of Time?

I have several issues but the main one that I do not have answers to is; why I keep losing track of time?
It occurs in periods like for example in January I cannot remember what I’ve learned in school, the conversations I’ve had and sometimes I forget what I’ve done in a 24h period. And the next month I’m fine.

I sometimes see shadows of objects that aren’t there and I hear noises when I’m alone.
I want to lock myself in a mental hospital, because I feel like I’m going crazy.

I have Trichotillomania, depression and PTSD. (From Sweden)

Why Do I Keep Loosing Track of Time?

A.

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us with your concerns. Let’s begin with trichotillomania (hair pulling.) As this Psych Central article will explain this condition is about repetitively pulling out of one’s own hair from any region of the body, such as the scalp, eyelids or eyebrows, or even facial hair, hair from your arms, legs, armpits, or pubic hair. The hair-pulling sites may vary over time and the triggers for this typically range from anxiety, boredom, and stress. The hair-pulling itself can result in relief. This sets up a type of cycle where the various frustrations fuel the need for relief.

Two conditions, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and depression, are quite often connected to it. I mention this because depression symptoms can vary from mild to severe and can include:

• Feeling sad or having a depressed mood
  • Disengaged, with a loss of interest or pleasure in activities once enjoyed
  • Changes in appetite (weight loss or gain unrelated to dieting)
  • Insomnia or sleeping too much.
  • Loss of energy or increased fatigue
  • Anxiety-related physical activity (e.g., hand-wringing or pacing) or slowed movements and speech (actions observable by others)
  • Loss of meaning or purpose, feeling worthless or guilty
  • Difficulty thinking, concentrating or making decisions
  • Thoughts of death or suicide

This means that many of your concerns about concentration and memory may be affected by the depression, which causes stress, which in turn creates the need for relief and the desire for hair-pulling. There may be a progressive sequence that has been created that makes it difficult to break this vicious cycle.

This means it is important to work with one therapist to unravel the triggers that create this downward spiral. Get someone who can help you plan the best way to approach this. I’d recommend working with someone who can help you create a way for you to increase your self-awareness about this cycle, which in turn I believe will give you some relief.

For a first-person account from PsychCentral own Gabe Howard check out his blog here.

Why Do I Keep Loosing Track of Time?

Therapists live, online right now, from BetterHelp: