Home » Ask the Therapist » How do I find help?

How do I find help?

From a woman in the U.S.:  I have been trying to find help for over a year with zero results.  I am on Medicaid and I keep getting referred to the multipurpose community health clinics that are always littered with junkies and sketchy people with waiting lists longer than a year. I have ptsd that is triggered by this environment as well.

Is there a source where I can search for psychiatrists who actually help by accepting sliding scale patients? I’ve noticed the ones who say they do actually don’t and just pass you off to an intern for that price. I am now in a major crisis with panic attacks happening almost  daily. After all this time searching I am now desperate.  Any guidance is appreciated.  Thanks!

How do I find help?

A.

I am so very sorry you are having so much difficulty finding the help you need. This is one of the compelling reasons that we need national healthcare in the U.S. Politics aside — yes, there are ways you can get help.

First, see your medical doctor. At your age, there just may be an underlying medical problem that is contributing to your anxiety. It’s important to check that out. It’s also possible your physician will be willing to help you with an anti-anxiety medication.

I do think you need some talk therapy as well. For that, you don’t need a psychiatrist. Broaden your search to mental health counselors who are in private practice. Many do have sliding scales.

Also – There are many schools in your city that train people to be psychotherapists. Often such schools have programs where their students see people free of charge. Don’t write them off because they are students. They are often talented, smart, compassionate people who are pursuing a degree because they want to help people. Further, they are supervised by experienced therapists whose job it is to make sure you are getting good help.

Meanwhile, do consider joining one of the forums here at Psych Central. People with similar issues provide each other with support and advice. Joining in will help your feel less alone and may provide some practical help and emotional support while you continue your search for a therapist.

How do I find help?

Therapists live, online right now, from BetterHelp: