Home » Ask the Therapist » I’m Afraid I’m Going to Have Another Stroke

I’m Afraid I’m Going to Have Another Stroke

From a woman in the U.S.: I recently lost another job due to my anxiety and personality disorder its the third job in less then a year. I feel so abnormal like a failure. My mood swings..anxiety even caused me to have a slight stroke. Im scared i keep loosing job im so depressed and anxious now. I’m so afraid im gonna have another stroke. What can i do?

A.

Thank you for writing. You told me about your diagnoses and your fears. You didn’t share whether you have had any treatment for either the mental health or physical issues. You are not a “failure” for being ill. But if you fail to get treatment, you aren’t helping yourself.

It makes sense to be scared you’ll have another stroke. Even if you have no other risk factors, the fact that you had one at 52 does put you at more risk than you had before your “slight” stroke. It’s important to get follow up care. I hope your doctors have talked to you about whether they have any idea about what caused it and what changes you can make to minimize future risk. If you haven’t had that kind of discussion with your doctors, do make an appointment to do so.

As for the anxiety and personality disorder: I hope you are in treatment for both. A combination of medication and talk therapy can make a significant difference. I suggest you explore whether there are DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy) therapists in your area. DBT has been found to be very effective in helping people manage a personality disorder.

Therapists live, online right now, from BetterHelp: