Home » Schizophrenia » Delusion Only 2 Times in Life

Delusion Only 2 Times in Life

Hello. ive been having ice pick headaches for a year and i went to the doctor and told me that i have it because of stress and that i have neurosis. i believe that i have generalized anxiety disorder which is getting worse and worse but its not what i want to talk about. i want to ask if having only 2 delusions in life mean somethings wrong. first one happened when i was 14 years old and i genuinely believed that i was a werewolf. i even had a story of how i turned and i would see how my eyes were getting yellow and worst of all i was going through internet and asking people and telling my story and they fed my delusion. it lasted for few months probably 3-4 months and i dont remember how did i get out of it. second delusion i had was that i was a medium and that i could see ghosts.it was when i was 15 or so. here too i had a story where it started and it came to the point that i actually was seeing and hearing and feeling their presence.it lasted for 4-5 months i think. funny thing is that i dont believe in ghosts or werewolfs. im pretty sceptical about many things. i eve study science in the university so i really do believe in facts. what should i do or what should i think? is in normal ? can i ever get some other delusion? i cant talk about it to anyone really and im afraid to tell my parents about this or even anxiety. i feel like i need a psychologist. what do you suggest? im 19 now. and when i think back it still bothers me.

Delusion Only 2 Times in Life

A.

The first thing you mentioned was that you have had “ice pick headaches” for a year. I’m not certain what precisely that means but it sounds painful. Your doctor said it’s from stress, and you might want to seek a second opinion from a specialist to ensure that these painful headaches are not indicative of some other problem. It’s not normal to have such terrible headaches. It could be indicative of migraines but only a more thorough evaluation can determine what may be wrong.

You also mentioned having generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). GAD involves consistent and persistent worry about a broad spectrum of things. Most people find it very difficult to live with constant anxiety. You should consult a professional for this problem. Headaches and anxiety, are indicators of potential problems. They require further investigation and should not be something you accept as part of your life.

Regarding your delusions, it would have been helpful to have had more information. For instance, what was happening in your life during this time? You wrote that you’re prone to stress and I’m wondering if that was an exceptionally stressful time for you. That could have been what prompted these delusional ideas. If so, perhaps they were a reaction or a response to something stressful in your life. The delusions may have served as an escape function for you. It’s not uncommon for people, especially young people, to mentally escape into a fictional world. That may have been what was happening to you. Try to think back to what was happening in your life at that time. Perhaps stress propelled you into having these ideas.

What’s good is that eventually the delusion faded. Try to think back to what was going on when you reverted back to reality. Perhaps the stress in your life had diminished and thus you returned to normal.

I would highly recommend consulting a therapist about the delusions, anxiety and headaches. They all may be connected. I know that your letter focuses on the delusions however, it is possible that the anxiety and headaches are related. As I mentioned earlier, stress could have been what caused you to enter a fictional world in your mind. Thankfully, you can learn healthier ways to manage stress, with professional help.

You also asked about whether or not your delusions could return. The answer depends upon what caused them in the first place. If it’s stress related, and you are continuing to experience stress, without having developed alternative ways for managing it, then a return is possible.

If I were interviewing you in person, I would also explore whether or not you had used illicit drugs during or around the time you were experiencing delusions. Drug use can cause delusions. It’s important to explore any and all possibilities.

Once you begin working with a therapist, they will assist you in developing solutions to this problem. It’s especially prudent that you consult a professional, particularly because you’re worried about this happening again. It’s always better to be proactive than reactive when it comes to mental health. If you can prevent future delusions, you should try to do so. Professional help is the best way to prevent future problems. Thank you for your question. Please take care.

Delusion Only 2 Times in Life

Therapists live, online right now, from BetterHelp: