Home » Ask the Therapist » Can a Person with a Mental Health Diagnosis Be a Psychologist?

Can a Person with a Mental Health Diagnosis Be a Psychologist?

From a teen in the U.S.: I just wanted to know if it is possible for someone who has a history of depression and or mental illness to get a masters or doctorate in psychology?

A.

I’m not aware of limitations based on a history of mental illness for entry into graduate school. I would only caution you to do your own therapy before thinking about grad school. Getting an advanced degree is stressful, regardless of the field. Getting a degree in psychology can be particularly challenging since the content of some of the courses can feel very “close to home”.

Whether or not it is required, healing yourself is important if you are going to work as a healer. It’s important to be reasonably certain that client issues won’t trigger you and that your own issues don’t intrude in some way in your professional relationship with future clients. It never hurts to increase personal awareness and to develop more coping skills.

I do suggest you learn as much as possible about the field. There are many career opportunities. If direct work with clients isn’t appealing but you are curious about what makes people think and feel and behave as they do, consider doing research. Researchers advance what we know about psychology and find new ways to better understand and help people. There are also jobs for psychologists in schools, in sports programs, even in engineering and business. Look into the scope of opportunities before you apply. Each grad program tends to prepare people for specific career tracks.