Home » Ask the Therapist » Why Am I Having Constant Flashbacks

Why Am I Having Constant Flashbacks

From a woman in the U.S.: This has happened one other time and I’m not sure if it is part of dissociation or something else, and I have not been able to find information anywhere. I am having constant flashbacks of things that seem like snippets from dreams I’ve had. When I say constant, I mean every few minutes I feel like I am having deja vu. I also cannot confirm that these truly are dreams I’ve had in the past as I don’t remember any of them, and they are so brief that I’m not sure what they are about. It lasts for about 10 seconds and it causes me to space out and I get a little confused.

For a moment I think, “Oh yeah, that was a dream I’ve had,” but because it doesn’t last long, I’m unable to figure it out. I’m not part of them either. It is random people that I don’t know but think for a second I’ve seen before.

I have Borderline Personality Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, PTSD, ADHD and generalized anxiety. This doesn’t feel entirely typical of dissociation, but is it possible that’s what it is? If not, does this sound like something related to any of my disorders or something else? I’m very confused and  it is causing severe anxiety because I feel like I’m losing my mind.

Why Am I Having Constant Flashbacks

A.

With that list of diagnoses, I hope you are seeing a therapist regularly to help you learn how to manage your life. If you are seeing a therapist, that is the person you should be addressing your questions to. Your therapist knows you and can help you make sense of your experience.

If you are not seeing a therapist, please do yourself the great favor of getting one. You need and deserve help for all of this. The complicated interactions of all those diagnoses is extremely challenging for anyone to manage. You don’t have to handle it alone.

If you were seeing me and this was a new symptom, I’d be referring you to a physician for a complete physical exam. It’s just possible that what you are describing could be due to a medical problem, not a psychological one. It’s always a good idea to check it out.

Why Am I Having Constant Flashbacks