Home » Ask the Therapist » Violent & Aggressive Brother

Violent & Aggressive Brother

My twin brother for the past 2-3 years has been getting really violent and aggressive in his behavior. It gets worse nowadays. When told something, he reacts harshly to it and uses horrible language. He can also be physically violent ( he has a huge built ). He has tried to hurt me multiple times. If his other twin does not comply with whatever he says he hits and hurts him really bad and it can be for the simplest thing. He also hits my mother if she tries to scold him. He is also very weak in studies and his school teachers have been asking us to get him some kind of help or at least change the school. He also has the habit of taking money and other things from others without consent even from home. He takes the money from home and gives it away to his friends, which is something I still haven’t figured out fully. There are multiple things that he hides from us and I am worried as to what his future might turn out to be. (From UAE)

Violent & Aggressive Brother

A.

Without being too presumptuous, your brother’s antisocial personality might best be investigated through a series of clinical tests. At 16 years old with these types of issues: aggression, stealing, poor results with education, problems in multiple areas of his life, difficulty with relationships, and being secretive, point to a need for understanding more about his motivations and concerns. At its core, this sounds like a learning disability that has become more difficult to rein in.

Children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder are prone to a wide variety of issues all of which have been mentioned about your brother. While this isn’t meant to be a diagnosis; it is something I’d recommend you have a professional rule out for your brother. A good psychiatrist or clinical psychologist will know how to do the evaluation.

While ADHD may not be the diagnostic finding I think it begins the evaluation process. There are many other potential causes, each of which deserves to be considered and confirmed or ruled out.

The center for disease control had an extensive website on ADHD and special section on what they call other concerns and conditions that I encourage you to check out. Also, for treatment options, you can check out our own article here at PsychCentral.

Violent & Aggressive Brother