Home » Ask the Therapist » I Don’t Know What to Do

I Don’t Know What to Do

I’m quickly destabilizing my mood has gotten uncontrollable, I’ve talked to my therapist/clinician or whatever and they said they would keep me where I’m at as far as medication goes. I was in a psychiatric hospital months back and they had me on three different medications and I felt kinda good, but now I’m just on a 1 mg risperidone, and it doesn’t do anything anymore. I was on lithium, ativan, and seroquel, before I had a mental breakdown and over dosed before they took me off the medication. I really feel the need to be back on an anti-anxiety, and mood stabilizer, maybe even anti-depressant. The thing is no one cares what I have to say and my family is basically toxic af, they tell me “everyone gets angry, deal with it”. I am finally seeking help from online before I end up killing a bunch of people and this turns into a full blown tragedy. What do I do when no one listens to me? I’m not going back to that psychiatric hospital because it was a waste of time and money. I need medications but no one cares until I end up doing something completely insane. Nobody cares what I have to say unless its a full blown crisis situation. Everyone thinks I’m doing fine but In reality I’m having a terrible time, and want to kill people, burn buildings, basically try to bring in the second coming. How can I find someone who will listen and get me put on a pill that actually works?

I Don’t Know What to Do

A.

Your taking medication which means that someone prescribed it for you. You should contact the prescribing physician and report that what you’re taking isn’t working and that you need something different. That doesn’t necessarily mean you have to go back to the psychiatric hospital. It only means you need to contact the prescriber and inform them of your circumstances.

Another option is to contact your primary care physician. Even if they are not the original prescriber, they can make modifications to your medicine.

There may be a community mental health treatment center you can go to for help. Many communities have them. Call to alert them to what is going on. They should be able to assist you in getting your needs met.

Another option to consider is contacting your local mental health crisis team and alerting them to how you’re feeling. They can assist you immediately. The key is that you have to tell them how you feel so they know this is an emergency and you are on the verge of dangerous behavior. Crisis teams are typically staffed with a variety of mental health professionals, including psychiatrists. Psychiatrists prescribe medication and may be able to make a change to your medication to help you feel more stable.

If there is no crisis team in your community, there may be an emergency facility where you can be evaluated for treatment.

I understand that you do not wish to return to the psychiatric hospital, but if there are no other options, they can provide you with the most immediate assistance. Since you have previously been in the hospital, they might be in the best position to help, they know your case. They can treat your symptoms and help you to stabilize. Having an assessment at the hospital does not mean that you are going to be hospitalized. It means that they’re going to provide you with emergency assistance so that you feel better right away.

If you know that something is wrong and that you are at risk of dangerous behavior, then it’s imperative that you seek emergency assistance. If you were to harm someone, you would likely go to jail. If you were to kill someone, you could be incarcerated for the rest of your life. If you stop and think about the consequences of your potential actions, you’ll realize the importance of seeking help now, and not waiting until it’s too late.

The last thing in the world you want to do is go to prison. Prison is an awful place and you don’t want to risk winding up there simply because you chose not to seek help, when you needed it the most. Prisons do provide mental health treatment but the quality of care is substandard. This is primarily because prisons are not hospitals. Their main purpose is punishment.

Yes, going to the hospital may not be what you want to do but it’s certainly better than what could happen if you were to “kill people, burn buildings,” etc. Be proactive, get the help you need now and do what you have to do to prevent yourself from engaging in dangerous behavior that could lead to the loss of your freedom. Good luck and please take care.

I Don’t Know What to Do