Home » Ask the Therapist » Medication Question

Medication Question

From a young woman in the U.S.: What happens if I have manic depression, taking olanzapine and paroxetine, but stop olanzapine? Will my mania come back?

Medication Question

A.

Thank you for writing but I’m not qualified to answer your question. I’m a psychologist, not a prescriber. Since someone is prescribing your medication, you really need to go back to that person with your concerns. Regardless of the diagnosis or the medication, our helpers can only be helpful if we partner with them. Your prescriber needs to know how you are responding to your medication and whether you are having side effects, as well as any concerns you may have.

Please don’t go by what you read on the internet. Although the internet is full of information. it’s unwise to come to conclusions based only on what you read. You are an individual with individual responses to various medications. You and your prescriber can make decisions based on your unique history and experience.

Do keep a careful journal of how you are feeling and how you experience the effects of your medications. It will give your prescriber far more accurate information than what you can report at an appointment on the basis of memory alone. It’s difficult to track medication response without writing it down. It’s very human to be unable to call up how things have gone day to day to day since the last appointment.

Take that journal with you to your next appointment — or make a sooner one. Writing to us tells me that you do have some concerns. Give yourself the peace of mind you need by talking to the person who knows you.

Medication Question