Home » Ask the Therapist » My Brother Is Going Back to the Same Relationship & Is Fighting with Father

My Brother Is Going Back to the Same Relationship & Is Fighting with Father

For about 2 years now my brother had been dating this girl and she has broke up with him 6 times and he keeps going back to her he just about got in a wreck a month ago over it. He has been fighting with my dad about every little thing and talks to her after every fight.

A.

It is not clear what your question is but my educated guess is that you likely want to know how to convince your brother to stop doing what he’s doing. Unfortunately, there’s only so much you can do. You can’t control other people. You can advise them. You can make suggestions. You can offer your opinion, but, ultimately, they choose how they are going to live. You may not agree with their decisions, but it is their choice.

That is a very difficult life lesson to learn.

It is painful and frustrating to watch someone you care about make decisions that are clearly not in their best interest. People in these circumstances often describe feeling helpless. The reality is you have little power in situations such as these.

Tell your brother what you think. Offer your opinion but don’t badger him. Hopefully, he will eventually learn the lessons he needs to lead a happier, more satisfied life.

You might recommend counseling. Hopefully he’ll be open to your advice. Good luck and please take care.