Home » Disorders » Sleep » Is Daydreaming Violent or Negative Situations Bad?

Is Daydreaming Violent or Negative Situations Bad?

I have a lot of anxiety and ocd. But I also get thoughts in my head such as you don’t do this, something bad will happen. Or stop doing this or something bad will happen. These things never relate really. For example my recent issue with it is if you don’t stop daydreaming violence or negative situations than your relationship will end.I know it sounds crazy and a lot of it is superstition but it does affect me. My daydreams I enjoy and are usually just me in my own little story or a story of some kind of character I’ve seen, like from an anime. Is this fear something I should listen to? Or is my daydreaming fine to do?

A.

Appropriate anxiety is generally situational. For instance, if danger is present, then anxiousness (temporarily) would be appropriate. Being anxious much of the time is not a normal state of being. It is stressful and unpleasant and bad for your health. When anxiety interferes with your normal activities and is causing you distress, that’s when you know that something is wrong. It’s not the norm.

Distressing daydreams can be an another indicator of anxiety. Daydreams are similar to fantasies and dreams. The quality and nature of them can provide insights into what underlies your anxiety. It seems as though you are chronically worried about something bad happening. That feeling of doom is a telltale sign of anxiety.

The good news is that there are highly effective treatments for anxiety. You shouldn’t tolerate problems that are easily rectified with treatment. If you’re open to treatment, your prognosis is excellent.

Cognitive behavioral therapy is an evidence-based treatment that is commonly used to combat anxiety disorders. Medications can also be helpful. Contact your primary care provider and ask for a referral to a therapist who specializes in anxiety disorders. You might also research therapists via the internet. I always advise contacting at least three to five therapists and speaking with them over the phone. It will help you get a sense of which one(s) might be a good match for you. Good luck with your efforts. Please take care.