Home » Ask the Therapist » Why Do I Talk to Myself?

Why Do I Talk to Myself?

From the U.S.: I did this all the time as a kid, talk to myself like someone was there. Not like talking with myself to solve problems but just like normal friends having a conversation. It will be a completely animated conversation about anything good and disturbing. And I’l look right where I think whoever I’m talking to (someone made up or sometimes famous or whoever) is standing there. I know it’s not real or reality but the fantasy of pretending is nice. I function at work and home fine but I do this everywhere ,work, home, out, everywhere. I used to think its normal but now in not so sure.

Why Do I Talk to Myself?

A.

As long as this isn’t interfering with your work or with your relationships, I see no harm in it. I don’t know if it is “normal”. I don’t even know if it is unusual. I suspect that people who do this don’t talk about it much with others so there is little data about it.

From my point of view, you have a vivid imagination and enjoy your fantasies. People often put their imagination to use. You might  consider whether you would enjoy participating in community theater or if you have some talent as a writer.

Why Do I Talk to Myself?