Home » Ask the Therapist » I’m Too Scared to Express Myself

I’m Too Scared to Express Myself

I’ve recently received a microphone in the mail that I had boughten about a week ago. Trying it out, I feel so scared and distracted. I feel as if the more I express myself, the more frightened I am to express myself, and I think it’s all because of what I did when I was in middle school. Back in middle school, I used to be a huge cyberbully, and I used a microphone to express such meanness. Now I regret such actions, and that makes me too scared to say anything again.

Not only that, but I live on a busy street in my state, and I get extremely distracted by vehicles, pets, and other people making noises. It’s so annoying, and I can’t get my thoughts straight! How do I solve this?

Context: I am on the autism spectrum. (From the USA)

I’m Too Scared to Express Myself

A.

I appreciate your courage in speaking up about these issues. Because there are so many symptoms, flashbacks, previous memories of offending others, shame, regret, difficulty in self-expression, sensitivity to stimuli and high levels of distraction, and poor concentration that I would take this opportunity to get a complete battery of tests by a clinical or neuropsychologist. These individuals have many tests at their disposal that can look at the array of concerns, as well as investigate your strengths to help unravel these issues.

You’ve taken the first crucial step in coping with all this. Now it is time to take the next step and have this testing done.

I’m Too Scared to Express Myself