Home » Ask the Therapist » I Force Myself to Think about Different Things and I Just Can’t Stop My Brain

I Force Myself to Think about Different Things and I Just Can’t Stop My Brain

Hello, thank you for reading this, People say overthinking is to think about a given issue way too much for me let’s say I had some trouble a week ago and now I have made a decision and that problem Is all solved and I know it however when I am free or happy I force myself to think about it and everything I just can’t stop it and I do that until I stop feeling happy. I do believe I have OCD however could this be a symptom of it? Also when I am very frustrated I cut it doesn’t give me happiness and isn’t an addiction it’s very rare but when I do cut I feel calm again and my mind goes to rest usually people cut to feel something and after that they feel happy which is not my case so is my cutting still an issue? I hope to hear back from you. Thank You so much for your time and efforts I appreciate it.

A.

It doesn’t matter why you cut yourself, it only matters that you do. Self-harm is always concerning. It should never be considered as a viable solution to any problem. It’s a sign of unhappiness and a lack of healthy coping skills. If you knew a better way to feel better, you would utilize it. People utilize unhealthy coping skills when they don’t know what else to do.

Regarding your thinking, it could be a sign of an anxiety disorder. You have difficulty preventing rumination. That’s often a sign of anxiety or a related disorder such as depression. People who are depressed also engage in cutting. Sometimes depressed people will cut themselves because they feel like they don’t deserve anything better. In other words, they punish themselves.

These issues could be resolved with counseling. I would strongly advise you to contact a local therapist and ask for help. These are very common problems and they will know how to help you.

In the meantime, you might try meditation or other mindfulness techniques. The idea behind these techniques is relaxing and quieting your mind. Some people find that listening to music or watching ASMR videos on YouTube are good ways to relax. There are many other examples. It may take some time to find something that relaxes you but it’s worth the effort to find something that helps. Good luck with your efforts. Please take care.