Home » Ask the Therapist » I Finally Have Courage to Get Help, But I Can’t Get It Soon Enough

I Finally Have Courage to Get Help, But I Can’t Get It Soon Enough

I have suffered from depression and anxiety since I was about 10. I recently lost a loved one and everything got so much worse. I am stuck in a constant state of anxiety, and can’t find anyone to see me anytime soon. Where can I find free or medicaid covered help fast?

A.

You might try going to your local community mental health center or local mental health hospital. Sometimes, churches offer free or low-cost services to individuals with psychological problems.

There also might be support groups in your area. Two to consider are grief support groups and The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) support groups. For the former, Google “grief support groups and [the name of your town]” into a search. Regarding the latter, Google “NAMI” and you should find information about both their national organization and their local support groups.

Another idea is the contact your insurance company and ask for their assistance. Depending on your employer, you might have access to employee assistance programs where you can receive immediate psychological assistance.

Another possibility includes searching for local universities and whether or not they offer free psychological health clinics. Research universities are also often conducting studies and need participants. You may be eligible for one of their studies and in the process, receive psychological treatment. Some of their treatments are cutting-edge and quite effective.

One final idea is to contact your primary care physician and ask for their assistance. They might prescribe medication, at least temporarily, to help get you through this very difficult and emotional time. The medication might help to ease your emotional pain while awaiting your counseling appointment.

I hope these ideas help in some small way. Consider posting this request in one of the Psych Central support group forms. Good luck and please take care.