Home » Ask the Therapist » Am I a Sociopath?

Am I a Sociopath?

I recently have taken a couple of “are you a sociopath/psychopath” quizzes online, and have received results which state there is a high chance that I am a sociopath, and moderate chance I am a psychopath. I am slightly confused, and wonder if I actually am a sociopath or not. I understand that it is not possible for me to be diagnosed unless I visit a doctor.

Am I a Sociopath?

A.

Those tests are interesting, but they are no more than that. They are not definitive. In other words, you can’t rely on them for a diagnosis. As you indicated, the only way to properly receive a diagnosis is to consult a mental health professional.

Generally speaking, psychopathy is relatively rare. Psychopaths represent approximately 1% of the population. Unfortunately, I cannot comment about whether or not you are a psychopath since I have no information about you and your symptoms. It would also be improper for me to attempt to diagnose you over the Internet.

If you believe that something is wrong, it’s worth the time and effort to consult an in-person professional. It’s always wise to seek out this type of expertise when you’re concerned about your mental health. Good luck with your efforts. Please take care.

Am I a Sociopath?