Home » Ask the Therapist » Help a Very Close Friend of Mine

Help a Very Close Friend of Mine

I have a very close friend who is getting day by day very hard to deal with. The top symptoms include;
-compulsive talker
-Very defensive
-always swaying up and down/side to side when standing
-has to be right/wants someone to always agree
-easily angered
-trouble getting words out(sometimes as in a stuttering manner)
-will interrupt conversations to speak on a past conversation that upset him
-will repeat himself while you’re talking over and over again until acknowledged.

These are beginning to be VERY frustrating to me and I don’t want to lose a good friend. But I’m on my last straw. I can’t take it. I would like to know what you think this condition(s) could be and what I could do to help. Looking forward to hearing from you. THANK YOU!

Help a Very Close Friend of Mine

A.

The behavior you described does not necessarily indicate any particular mental health disorder. If I knew more about him and had a chance to interview him, I would have greater insight into what is wrong. Otherwise, this might be who he is, his personality.

You called him a very close friend. That would suggest you’ve known him for a while. If so, then you would have likely been continuously experiencing these behaviors. But then you also said that his behavior is worsening “day by day.” Did something prompt this change? Did something happen that caused his behavior to change? A physical injury? A brain injury?

If you suspect that something is wrong, suggest he seek professional help. If it is a personality issue, then you’ll have to decide if you want this person in your life. You don’t have the power to change him and thus whether or not you want to continue this relationship will be up to you.

To stay friends is a personal decision. Ultimately, how you move forward in this relationship rests upon whether you can tolerate his behavior, no matter the cause. Good luck with your decision. Please take care.

Help a Very Close Friend of Mine