Home » Ask the Therapist » Parenting » My Parents Won’t Believe that I Have Mental Illnesses

My Parents Won’t Believe that I Have Mental Illnesses

Recently, I have been feeling very depressed, hopeless, anxious, etc. I have been binge eating constantly and my grades have suffered an insanely large drop. Upon getting my report card, my parents took away everything and nearly kicked me out of the house. In the past, they have talked about how depression and anxiety are not real illnesses and how they are just a call for attention, so I have been very scared to approach them about it. When I finally drew up the courage to approach them about it when they were yelling at me about my grades, they basically laughed in my face and told me that I was making it up. I really do feel like I need help from a psychiatrist or therapist, but they refuse to get me the help I need. What do I do about it, how do I teach them that mental illness is real and how do I show them that I have it? (From the USA)

A.

I am sorry your parents are not understanding how important your well-being is. When parents minimize their child’s emotional needs they are neglecting their primary responsibility. I’m sorry you have had to endure this.

Go around them and do not wait. Make an appointment with your school counselor as soon as possible and let them know it is important. Depression and anxiety are real and your parents saying otherwise doesn’t change that fact. The school counselors are adults in you school specifically trained to help. They are equipped to help you deal with both your emotions — and your parents.