Home » Depression » Dissociation, Childhood Trauma & Depression

Dissociation, Childhood Trauma & Depression

Asked by on with 1 answer:

Through my childhood I was abused, mentally and physically. I believe I have done my best to overcome it and get as much closure as possible. However, and as much as I don’t enjoy to admit, it’s still with me. I’m 18, I ended the toxic ties I had with my abusers, and overall I’m an healthy individual. Nonetheless, I carry bad habits from that time, such as dissociation. I daydream all the time, I need to constantly have sounds on, either music or TV (even if I’m not watching it), I feel empty and zombie like every few days. I know what this is, and I also have waves of depression now and then, but i can’t figure it out why. I want to fix it. From my experience, psychologists and psychiatrist don’t help. I don’t know what to do. I don’t particularly want to talk about the abuse, but i want to be healthy. I’m tired of having this abuse influence me. I want to be healthy.

Dissociation, Childhood Trauma & Depression

Answered by on -


You stated that “from my experience, psychologist and psychiatrist[s] don’t help.” That’s not true for most people. Sometimes people try therapy once or twice and give up. They don’t realize that not all mental health professionals are created equally. It’s not like going to the grocery store and buying a loaf of bread. They’re not all the same. It takes time to find someone who is right for you. It takes patience and effort but it is worth it.

I typically recommend calling at least four or five therapists and discussing what you would like help with in detail. Ask them how they would help you. Inquire about their work with other clients with similar problems. After speaking with them over the phone, choose the one you like the best and then meet in person. This will help you to find the one with whom you are the most compatible.

It makes sense that you may struggle to overcome these issues since you are not a trained professional. Resolving difficult life problems is not innate knowledge. Mental health professionals receive rigorous training. If you take the time and effort to find one who can help, you’ll see that it can make a positive difference in your life.

You can read books about childhood trauma, dissociation and depression. They can help but don’t give up on professionals. It could be that you simply haven’t found the right help. You might consider choosing a therapist who specializes in childhood trauma and dissociation. You shouldn’t give up. You should keep trying until you find the right therapist.

Good luck with your efforts. Please take care.

Dr. Kristina Randle

Dissociation, Childhood Trauma & Depression

Therapists live, online right now, from BetterHelp:

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW is a licensed psychotherapist and Assistant Professor of Social Work and Forensics with extensive experience in the field of mental health. She works in private practice with adults, adolescents and families. Kristina has worked in a large array of settings including community mental health, college counseling and university research centers.

APA Reference
Randle, K. (2019). Dissociation, Childhood Trauma & Depression. Psych Central. Retrieved on November 26, 2020, from
Scientifically Reviewed
Last updated: 24 Apr 2019 (Originally: 25 Apr 2019)
Last reviewed: By a member of our scientific advisory board on 24 Apr 2019
Published on Psych All rights reserved.