Home » Ask the Therapist » Make Up Characters in My Head and Act Them Out

Make Up Characters in My Head and Act Them Out

I have this issue since I was 9yrs old. When I was 9, I JUST used to make these characters in my head whenever i heard music and then make up a whole story in my head with music in the background. The music just had to be related to a story for e.g a story about a powerful queen story then the song “That’s my girl” But I used to this only when I heard the music. I didn’t do them by purpose. But when I turned 13, I started to “act them out” as well. I used to do this a lot more than before (I’d spent hours). I turned on music by purpose and then do it and I still do it now. I get inspired to do these stories when I see a movie or read another story. And I THINK music isn’t the main cause of this….it happens even without music. I hate it because it wastes my time and stops me from studying. I can only control not to do this for only 1 day and then I start to do it again. My question: Can I stop this? If yes, then how? if no, then how can I at least reduce it up to just 2 hours? Is music the cause or is it natural? (From Pakistan)

A.

I love the power of your mind and the creativity that seems to spontaneously rise up from inside. The key to cultivating this type of creative response is to nurture it and discipline it. Setting boundaries is important. You do not want to give up what you love—but you do not want to let it be intrusive. Do your homework and let the creativity be the reward. Limit the time with a timer and be certain there is enough time left to do your homework well.

High school is tough because you have a lot to balance. But the discipling you can bring to yourself, your self-control, will serve you very well in the future.