Home » Ask the Therapist » Emotionless

Emotionless

It’s been a few years since I felt this empty feeling but in the recent weeks it is becoming clear. I feel like my control over my emotions is gone. It is like my emotions became a switch and I don’t get to choose whether or not I want it on. Its like one moment my switch is on and I feel an array of emotions, then the next it is turned off and I feel nothing. I look at videos that are meant for the viewer to feel something whether it be sadness, anger, happiness, motivation I dont feel anything. This should make me frustrated but I dont even feel that. I am just concerned about what this means for me.

Emotionless

A.

You have noticed a change and it’s not necessarily a positive change. Your concerns should not be ignored. It’s unusual and concerning to feel emotionally unstable.

It is advisable to consult an in-person therapist who will analyze the potential problem and develop a plan for treatment. They are experts in emotions, thoughts and behaviors. They will know if something is wrong. They can explain why you are feeling the way you do. There is likely an explanation for why your feelings have changed. A therapist will know how to help.

You mentioned that you are watching videos that are meant to invoke a particular emotion. I’m wondering what videos you’re watching. Perhaps you are describing a certain type of numbness or apathy which could indicate depression or anxiety. It’s difficult for me to know without much more information. That is why it is wise to consult a local expert who can facilitate a solution to this problem.

When it comes to mental health, it’s always better to be proactive than reactive. You have noticed that something has changed and it worries you. The time to act is now. Thank you for your question. Good luck and please take care.

Emotionless