Home » Ask the Therapist » My Boyfriend Loves Me But Not My Appearance

My Boyfriend Loves Me But Not My Appearance

From a woman in South Africa: My current “friend” gets a severe anxiety attack if he presumes I’m eating anything unhealthy.  He allows me to make my own decisions but he gets VERY uncomfortable if they are not always on point.  He is trying to work on this but his reason is if you say you want to do something do it with everything and not just half way.  This is also the same reason he can’t choose to date me yet until I have reached my goal (appearance wise).

He is in love with me and we even stay together but nothing yet as he seems to be scared to commit.  I believe he has this image in his mind of the “perfect” woman.  He has said that personality wise I am perfect but appearance wise not yet.

I also believe that you should strive to be the best form of yourself thus I agree with it.  I want to be the best version of me I can possibly be.

A.

There is an important line between loving concern and control. He may “let you” make decisions, but he certainly finds ways to telegraph that your decisions and appearance don’t meet with his approval.

This isn’t love. Love means accepting someone as they are. Love means providing support for the beloved’s goals, not imposing conditions for a relationship. It’s likely that if you stay with him, you will always be anxious about whether you are acceptable. You deserve better.