Home » Ask the Therapist » Why Am I Forgetting Things?

Why Am I Forgetting Things?

From a teen in the U.S.: I’m not sure if it’s just my anxiety, but I’ve been feeling like I’m acting differently even though I don’t have proof I am. I have been feeling a little more anxious lately, but I’ve been able to handle it. I have been experiencing some depersonalisation, could be because I’ve been living in a basement and I rarely go outside anymore or even upstairs. I might be depressed, and really I want to know how to get over that. I just hope this isn’t something worse. I just really want to feel back to normal and take control of my life again. I really don’t want to lose control of myself. That has been a fear of mine since I first got sick with anxiety a few months ago.

Why Am I Forgetting Things?

A.

The best way you can take control isĀ to pick up the phone and make appointments with both your primary care doctor and a mental health counselor. When there is a change in someone like this, I always advise a visit to the medical doctor first to make sure that the symptoms are not a consequence of a medical issue.

If you are physically okay, the next step is to continue to take control of your life by seeing a mental health counselor who can help you assess what is happening psychologically and give you recommendations for how to get out of the basement and back into life.

No one can get you the help you need but you. I hope you will follow this advice immediately. The longer you wait, the chances are whatever is going on will only get more challenging. You deserve to reclaim your life and to enjoy your teen years.

Why Am I Forgetting Things?