Home » Ask the Therapist » I’m Looking for a Therapist, But Not Sure What My Future Therapist Should Specialize In

I’m Looking for a Therapist, But Not Sure What My Future Therapist Should Specialize In

I am a crossdresser. I’ve been cross dressing since a very young age. I am at a point where I need a therapist or someone that I can talk to about my cross dressing. Problem is when I try finding a therapist that specializes in cross dressing all I seem to find are therapist specializing in gender dysphoria and it really sounds like they are all catering to transgender people. I have yet to see one that says they deal with crossdressers. Is that the kind of therapist I have to settle for? Or is there a type of therapist that specializes in crossdressers?

A.

You might try a sex therapist. They work with individuals with sexual problems and with couples. Sex therapy is a form of counseling that simply focuses on issues of sexuality and dysfunction. Cross dressing is not a sexual problem per se, but you would likely benefit from a therapists’ specialized knowledge in human sexuality. You might ask your primary care physician for a referral to a licensed sex therapist or you can search the Internet for resources. Hopefully you will find someone you like. Good luck with your efforts.