Home » Ask the Therapist » I Feel like a Failure and a Disappointment

I Feel like a Failure and a Disappointment

From a teen in  England:  Ive been feeling so down, so tired and so anxious lately and i don’t know why. i feel like a failure and a disappointment. its like i’m with my friends and i just don’t feel happy no more. i haven’t got to motivation or energy to do anything. my friends have been noticing lately that i’;m having terrible mood swings and always moving about and not being able to sit down for long. i don’t know what to do. i’m scared to talk to anyone about how i feel.

A.

Thank you for writing. I’m so sorry you are feeling so awful. I’m also sorry you are scared to talk to someone. That’s exactly what you need to do. If you could handle this on your own, you would have done so already.

The first stop should be with your doctor. It’s possible that there is an undiagnosed medical issue. Be sure to talk about your sleep and diet habits as they may be contributing to the problem. If all is okay medically, then please, please see a mental health counselor to help you with your feelings of anxiety and to deal with your negative evaluation of yourself.

Please follow through. You deserve to feel better and to enjoy your teen years.