Home » Ask the Therapist » What Do These Black Outs Mean?

What Do These Black Outs Mean?

From a teen in the U.S.:¬† 2-5 times a month ill “black out”; and then find myself doing something else somewhere else completely different with no recollection of how i got there. And i think it usually last for around 30-45 minutes.

What Do These Black Outs Mean?

A.

I wish I could help you, but I just don’t have enough information. You didn’t mention, for example, whether you are getting enough sleep, whether you are misusing any substances, or if you have a history of any trauma. Any one of those could explain what is going on.

I do think you need to get to the bottom of this — if only for your peace of mind. Please take care of yourself and make an appointment with a mental health counselor who can listen to your whole story and ask the kind of questions that need to be asked to give you an answer.

What Do These Black Outs Mean?