Home » Ask the Therapist » I Don’t Understand My Brother’s Behavior

I Don’t Understand My Brother’s Behavior

Hello, my brother is 24 and was diagnosed with borderline syndrome a year ago. However, it was managed only with medication because he refused psychotherapy. For the past 1.5 months, after my mother refused to give him money, he said that he would stop going out. And for the past 1.5 months he didn,’t go outside. Lately, he was a bit more anxious and he did drink alcohol again (not too much) and started smoking again. Nothing was too alarming until 3 days ago he received some messages, went outside for 1h and when he came back, he started talking to people that weren’t there, yelling, than talking quietly, and it was like he was hallucinating. At one point he even changed his personality. At hospital they said that it was brief reactive psychosis (f23. 9) and gave him clozapine and risperidon, and some other medication that i don’t know. Since then, he did sleep, but he still talks, quietly, but still does.What do you think how long is this going to last? When will he stop talking? And does these hallucinations indicate that he has schizophrenia? I am very worried, so please answer me. Thank you.

A.

It’s impossible to diagnose over the internet. I would recommend asking these questions to his treating professionals. They would be in the best position to answer them since I can only provide a general response.

You mentioned that he was diagnosed with brief reactive psychosis. The name is just as it sounds, he apparently had a short-lived psychotic episode. Some people have one psychotic episode and never have another. Others, continue to have additional psychotic episodes which may be indicative of a more severe disorder such as schizophrenia.

It’s important to determine what caused his psychotic episode. You mentioned that he used alcohol which could have contributed to the problem. If he uses alcohol, he may also be using drugs. Drug use has been linked to psychosis.

A schizophrenia diagnosis requires a certain number of illness symptoms to be present for a certain period of time. Delusions and hallucinations are indicative of schizophrenia but are also associated with brief psychotic disorders. Only time will tell what disorder he may or may not have. Encourage him to take his medication. Medication adherence and avoiding illicit substances will reduce the likelihood of having another psychotic episode.

Do your best to encourage him to follow the orders of his treating professionals. That is the best way to prevent future psychotic episodes. If you have additional questions, please don’t hesitate to write again. I hope this helps. Please take care.