Home » Ask the Therapist » Do You Think I Have DID?

Do You Think I Have DID?

From a teen in the U.S.:¬† I’m not sure if I have D.I.D. or not. Most of the time I feel like I’m in a VR headset and that can lead to panic attacks. sometimes I see myself through a security camera almost. I have been hearing different voices and sometimes I don’t know where I am or who I’m with. I’ve seen my handwriting change multiple times while I’m writing.

I know I have depression and very bad anxiety but every time I think about asking my grandparents for therapy I start to have anxiety attacks. The voices say that they are here to help me, and if I go to a therapist the doctors will just make them disappear. They have names, ages, and I can talk to them.

I’ve read articles about D.I.D. and I’ve seen the symptoms but there is still that chance that I don’t have it because a therapist or doctor hasn’t diagnosed it yet. When I told my grandparents about my anxiety they told me anxiety is a part of life and I don’t know what anxiety is. Do you think I have D.I.D.?

Do You Think I Have DID?

A.

Thank you for writing. I don’t know if you have D.I.D. I do know that you need to see someone who can help.

Your grandparents are correct that nervousness is part of life at times, but what you are describing isn’t the same as garden variety teen nervousness.

Please listen to my voice instead of the voices in your head. Do talk to your grandparents about getting some therapy for you. Reassure them that you aren’t looking for years and years of talking to someone — which is a common misperception of therapy and may be their worry. Instead, tell them that you are so upset so often that you just want an evaluation to help you understand what is going on. If there is a diagnosis like D.I.D., the therapist will help you explain what you need to your grandparents.

Please follow through. This problem isn’t likely to go away by itself.

I wish you well,

Do You Think I Have DID?