Home » Self-Esteem Issue

Self-Esteem Issue

My family has ethnic minority ancestry. Since I was a child, I have many family members who talk against their own ethnicity. They constantly say horrible things like people of this ethnicity are “ugly & lazy & evil” They say that they are ashamed to be of this ethnicity, and they don’t associate with others of the same ethnicity. Family members did not approve of me joining a social group for people of this ethnicity, or even taking an ethnic history class. All of this has greatly lowered my self-esteem. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Self-Esteem Issue

A.

Your ethnicity is part of your identity and you don’t need anyone’s permission to explore and understand it. Don’t look for permission, approval, or understanding from those who can’t give it. Check out the roots of your identity for your own growth and purpose. Don’t bother trying to change their minds—satisfy your own curiosity.

Self-Esteem Issue