Home » Ask the Therapist » Think I’m Insane

Think I’m Insane

I think I’m going insane. My nightmares, my dreams, they’re so vivid, and they’re never natural, i dont feel like one person i swear I’m not alone, and they talk to me through my dreams, nobody understands me when i talk about them, i do rituals where i self-harm and put the blood all over myself. I sit in the dark and twitch and i dont hear voices but I FEEL them, I FEEL them inside me, i feel different from everyone else, I dont know what is wrong with me. I swear I’m going crazy. I hurt myself and then after I realize what I’ve done and i cry. I cry during i do it and whisper to myself. My dreams are so impacting they determine my mental state throughout my day. They are so real like, I feel panicked throughout the day. This isnt like the nightmare disorders I’ve read about. I love them even though they’re so detrimental to me. I cant let go of my past. Please help, I don’t know what’s wrong with me.

Think I’m Insane

A.

You mentioned reading about nightmare disorders but don’t think you have one. You should avoid self-diagnosis. It’s best to consult a professional in your situation. Have an evaluation and they will know if you have a sleep disorder. They would be in the best position to know since they are experts. It’s best to do this sooner rather than later, especially because of your self-harm. It is important to find out what may be wrong.

In the meantime, avoid engaging in self-harm. If you can’t protect yourself, be in the presence of someone who can stop you or contact emergency services. It’s imperative that you receive treatment. Once you begin treatment, you will likely feel a great deal of relief. Hopefully, you will take my advice. Stay safe and please take care.

Think I’m Insane