Home » Ask the Therapist » Parenting » My Daughter Is Very Explosive, Angry with Us & Other Family Over Mistakes of Others That Are Innocent

My Daughter Is Very Explosive, Angry with Us & Other Family Over Mistakes of Others That Are Innocent

My daughter has been in a volatile marriage for about 10 years. there is verbal and emotional abuse from each of them (husband and wife) and little we can do to intervene. she is extremely volatile and angry over her life and lashing out at anyone who offends her including me and other family members. we have always been very close as a family so this kind of behavior is not the norm. we have had issues in the past, but this is intensified as I believe she is reflecting on her life–I believe she is reviewing and trying to figure out how she ended up in the situation she is in and she wants to blame everyone else. I am very worried for her because her anger and attacking of us and others is escalating to the point that she is unreasonable and cannot be reached and is shutting all of us out. things are so blown out of proportion and she is completely unreasonable and so angry that she is saying hateful and horrible things mostly through texts saying she is done with all of us.. she goes on and on relentlessly attacking us and anyone who disagrees with her.. she has a victim mentality where everyone else is alienating her, not caring for her, abusing her, etc. I am beyond heartbroken. this description is oversimplified in light of trying to give the picture and be brief.

A.

I’m sorry that this is happening to you and your family. Unfortunately, there is likely little you can do. She is an adult. You can’t control her behavior. All you can do is react to her behavior which, thus far, involves enduring her wrath. Don’t allow her to abuse you. If you know she abuses you via text, block her number. If she calls and harasses you again, block her number. Interact with her when she’s calm and respectful. Don’t, when she is not.

Encourage her to seek help, and hope that she will take your advice. If she is a danger to herself or others, call the authorities or local crisis team and let them handle the situation. Otherwise, you’ve done all you can.

Understandably, having so little power in this situation is disconcerting but that’s the reality. Hopefully a positive outcome will eventually emerge. You might consult a therapist (family or individual) to assist you in navigating this challenging issue. The more support and guidance you have, the better. Please take care.